Tuesday, February 19, 2008

America's Un-Funniest Videos

Nearly everyone enjoys watching someone else demonstrate their human frailty for all to see. Some of the most popular programs deal with watching folks slipping, sliding, or flipping as they go about their daily activities. I can tell you by first hand experience, it’s much funnier to watch the other guy do it than to be the star of your own episode.

This past Sunday morning I was introducing a new study on what the Bible has to say about the operation and function of a local New Testament congregation, called ‘Church’ in our English bibles. To tell the truth, I must admit whenever I get wound up about a subject I also become excited and animated. Those can be the ingredients of a potential disaster if one is not careful. I was walking to and fro up on the platform in my class and without warning, suddenly it was wam!, bam!, slam!, and down I went, having backed off the stage and piled up like a bag of potatoes in the corner. Everyone in my class was scared out of their gourd because I went down with such a loud crash.

But, I got back up, straightened myself up, and went on to teach the lesson without missing a beat. Was I hurt? Pretty much the same as I experienced years ago in a head on collision as far as aches and pains are concerned. I wrenched my knee really bad and later Sunday evening I had some chills to contend with, however, as I write this today I am ever so thankful to be up and about, moving very slowly because of the knee, but able to get up and go.

Just previous to me falling I had been talking about how my boys are more and more treating me like I am an accident waiting to happen. I had just finished telling my class how they had removed the big ladder from the house so that I wouldn’t be getting up on the second roof to blow the pine straw off. I had been making the joke about how I was not an invalid yet and within a couple of minutes after saying that, there I was, being counted out like the bad guy macho man pinned in a WWF match.

Maybe I had been a little too cocky in my joking about this situation. Perhaps I got over stimulated in my excitement about the lesson I was teaching. Or, maybe I was being tested to see if I was going to get up and finish teaching my lesson. I don’t know for sure but I do know this, there are lessons to be learned from what happened and my wife has now ordered me to stay at the floor level only. I suppose that way I will have less distance to cover if I fall. Sorry, there’s no video for you to watch but I couldn’t be happier that one doesn’t exist. It’s turned out to be another one of those embarrassing blips on the radar screen of life, and one I sincerely hope and pray will not show up again, anytime soon. But as my Grandad always said, "You might as well laugh as cry!" And, be thankful I'm not in traction are dealing with a broken neck since I came very close to hitting my head on a window ceil. There's much to be thankful for. Have a great Tuesday and may God bless you and yours. Amen. ……..More later.

No comments: