Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day 2008

Happy Valentine's Day. That's what the retailers are hoping a huge number of folks will be saying today. It's estimated to be a 14 billion dollar day but I did read somewhere that you need to check out any candy you buy because some stores are putting out left overs from last year. Now that's not a very pleasant thing to do on a day dedicated to showing love and appreciation, right? My wife and I have been exchanging cards and gifts for over forty years and to us, it's a good day just to consider the meaning of our love and how our being together is a blessing from God.

This morning I anticipated she had a card for me. When I went into the kitchen and turned on the light, there it was. This year she bought one of those cards that has the music in it and to be honest I didn't realize it was going to be quite as loud as it was and at 3:30 a.m., it gave me a pretty good jolt. The song was the one made by the band Orleans back in the early 1980's, entitled, "You're Still The One". It was a really neat sentiment and I am thankful that into our 44th year, that's exactly who I am, I'm still the one.

She hasn't seen my card yet. I always make my own cards. She will find it when she gets up this morning. Inside the card I talk about while there's quite a bit less of me this year in terms of pounds and inches, my heart is still bulging and overflowing with love for her. That's the kind of nonsensical stuff you try to come up with to express what someone so dear means to you. Before I left this morning I went in and had our prayer and I did sing Happy Valentine's Day to you to the tune of Happy Birthday. I couldn't tell for sure but it appeared she might have preferred me to have held off on the singing. But since she gave me a musical card I didn't want her to miss out.

One of the things I am reminded of on this day when so many will make their professed statements about love is the model given to us in the Scriptures. For us guys, it could not be clearer and it could not be tougher. The Apostle Paul tells us in Ephesians that we are to love our wives in the same way that Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for the Church. Wow! Couldn't he have come up with something a little less challenging? Therefore, as I consider my love for my wife, as a believer I must use this example and then compare where I am to this model. Brutal? You better believe it! But, it gives us all something to work on, strive for, and seek to reflect in our love for our mate. I'll not go into the challenge for the women folk because to tell the truth I've got enough with this example to get me busy for the rest of my life! In the end, I can always fall back on what I've been telling her for as long as I can remember, "Baby, you're the greatest!" Happy Valentine's and may God bless. .......More later.

No comments: