Monday, October 1, 2007

I Did It But I Had To Have Known There Would Be Consequences!

Growing up in our small town we had this grocery store owned by Mrs. Thomas. People could buy things and sign a bill and pay for it once a month. I had seen my mom sign that ticket many times and walk out with a bag of groceries. I guess I had not been around when she paid each month so I wasn’t as clear on that part of the process.

I don’t know how it began but it may have been when I had gone down to fetch the mail for Granny. But as a fourth grader, one day I went into that store and began to look around at the candy supplies. I picked up a couple of items and walked up to the counter. Mrs. Thomas immediately asked, “Do you want me to put that on your mom’s bill?” Hello? What exactly was she saying? Then she said, “Is it okay with your mom?” This no doubt was the moment that truth could have and should have prevailed but for reasons known only to a candy deprived nine year old boy I meekly mumbled, “Yes ma’m.” She put the items on the pad and then presented it for me to sign. I signed it and walked out the door ready to sing a few stanzas of the hallelujah chorus, had I known them.

You can guess how this all turned out. It was wonderful while it lasted. It was like I was living in a dream world. Unfortunately, the days went by and it came time for that other part of the process. My mom is a wonderful person. We revere her. She was also very committed to the biblical admonition of not sparing the rod, or in her case, a literal interpretation would be in not sparing the plum tree switch.

Yes the old adage which says all good things must come to an end and this is the end my friend certainly became a fulfilled prophecy as it related to my candy shopping days. You may not be familiar with plum tree switches but with use they become even more ferocious with tentacles and they come at you from many different directions. Sure it’s easy now to say, “What in the world was I thinking?” But back then I would guess it must have been a suspension of reality or even an alien abduction because somewhere deep down inside I had to have known that this too would pass.


Since there were six of us and my mom struggled to work and see after our needs, over time she did much damage to any hope of plum harvesting on our place. My granddad said if the trees even survived it would be years after we all were raised up and grown before there would ever be any plums. However, looking back I am so thankful that I was corrected by my mom. She did her best to teach us to live lives of honesty and integrity and I owe much of who I am today to her. Now why Mrs. Thomas let me sign that ticket is beyond me but I will be asking when I see her in heaven! …More later.

No comments: