Monday, October 29, 2007

"Ain't It Good To Be Back Home Again!

My wife and I went over to visit my parents in Louisiana on Saturday. It makes for a very long day but one that’s always filled with joy from seeing my mom and dad and being back in the town and in the house where much of my life was founded and built. One of my two sisters was also able to visit with us and we talked and talked and laughed and remembered old times as well as sharing our hearts about the present. It was one of those wonderful days when after you’ve been going for eighteen hours you fall into bed but sleep the sleep of a blessed experience and thank God for allowing us one more time when we were able to be together.

One of the things that dad and I often do when I am home is go for a long walk around the little town where I grew up. Yes, it has changed and many of the folks I knew as a child have passed on to their reward. Some of the houses have been torn down and new ones are now standing where they once occupied their spot. Some are still there and they’ve been remodeled, updated, and are now occupied by grandchildren or someone who has come into town since I left for Texas back in 1969.

However, when I walk those streets I see it all as it was way back when. There’s the school where I attended from 3rd grade through 12th. There’s many memories out on that playground, some good and some not so good. Many of the buildings are essentially the same. The gym has been upgraded and the high school has been refurbished but the elementary still has the same bricks that were on it when I came to live in that sleepy little town in 1954. Across from the school is the Evans place where I spent many hours just hanging out. Both Lynn and Carlton who were some of my buddies from grade school through high school have already passed on to the other side.

I spotted that place where the asphalt between the gym and the elementary school building joins. That’s exactly where I fell running flat out one day and hit a jagged edge and ripped a gash in my knee all the way to the bone. Mr. Gaskin drove me to the nearest hospital in Leesville. I was maybe twelve years old but I remember well seeing that speedometer pegged at 120 miles per hour. My mom had to meet us there from her job and the doctor sewed me up without it being fully deadened. I thought my mom was going to clobber that doctor. She was fuming.


Right across from the high school is First Baptist Church. That was where the town elite went when I was a kid. The store owners and the political leaders all went there. We were a part of the common folks associated with that Bible Baptist Church, a narrow minded independent bunch who believed the Bible was the only guide to Church practice. Mentioning Bible Baptist floods me with too many memories to even begin to cover. Maybe I will do a blog on our many years there one day in the future.
We then passed by the road that used to take us down to Dr. Stephens’ office where he would check us over and send us home to be treated with a combination of medicines and home cures. I believe he delivered most of my grandparents children and there were eight of them. I know he used to talk about how huge the twins, Uncle Jack and Aunt Jean, my mom’s brother and sister were when they were born, at home, of course, and I believe they weighed in at over twenty pounds together. Up until he got too old he had always done house visits but when he died I don’t think the town has had another doctor since. Some no doubt would have many issues with his approach to medicine but I guess his testimony of effectiveness can be seen in how many of us survived all the childhood diseases that we had to endure.
Then we walked around by the Bill Ford place which is directly across from the Poston’s home place. Mr. Poston had been a state senator and his wife was the depot master, therefore, they were some very prominent folks in our little village. We made a large circle and came down the lane by where the Roberts girl used to live. She was a classmate but I don’t know what ever became of her. Then we passed by the Leo Fish place which isn’t there anymore. He was one of the janitors at our school and back in those days janitors were respected just like teachers. Then down to the main highway where we passed by the Gandy place and then back down through town.

Lots of memories and many of them very fond. Tom Wolfe’s best seller was entitled, “You Can’t Go Home Again”. That title certainly doesn’t fit my experience because I greatly enjoy my visits back to my old stomping grounds. I am thankful to be able to spend time with my mom and dad and to be reminded of all that God has provided me, even as a child, in the place He allowed me to be nurtured and developed which has had and continues to have a huge influence on who I am today. …..More later.

No comments: