Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Doctor Is In!

It’s back to the doctor for me today. This is a major check up after the events over the past four months. Way back in July I went to the doctor to have him check some arthritic pain in my neck and shoulder. He did but also ordered up xrays, blood, and urine tests. Essentially, I went in with some discomfort but for the most part I was both literally and figuratively, fat, dumb, and happy. One week later the results were in from the tests and suddenly I am hit with all these health issues. High cholesterol, high blood pressure, potential diabetes, acid reflux, and the arthritis which suddenly became a minor consideration.

He gave me medications to deal with each of these. It’s like going from zero to ninety in the time it takes to write six prescriptions. He also had me do an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. Therefore, I have been checked more or less head to toe. The medications have not been without side effects, therefore, we’ve had to make adjustments along the way but hopefully and prayerfully I’m lobbying to be off most of them after today’s visit. But that’s my idea and we will have to wait and see what the doctor has to say. My desire is to control it all with diet and exercise. I have lost 15 pounds but haven’t started the exercise because the medications zap much of my energy.
One friend asked me the other day how my health was coming along. I told him all the numbers look good but I can’t say I’m enjoying life as much as I was when fast foods and Blue Bell ice cream were a daily fixture. I’ve eaten enough oatmeal that they may soon want to make me an honorary Quaker. In the end I know I should be thankful because while this was an unexpected discovery, I’m told that it is a true blessing since all these issues need to be addressed. That’s one way to look at it.
Then there’s this thing in the back of my mind that says perhaps all of this has been a big mistake. After all, they did have me down as a female on the blood test. But we will know all of this soon enough after another round of tests. Meanwhile, I am thankful to be able to live in a time whenever these potential problems can be addressed and I will do my best to cooperate with the medical advice I am given. I guess I should be thankful that my doctor didn’t just treat the arthritis and move on. It could have been like the Hee Haw routine where I told him it hurts when I do this and he could have said, “Well don’t do that anymore”.
It has been a real adjustment for me over these months since I’ve never been a medicine taker. Dealing with the blood sugar lows brought on by the medicine and the other side effects have been trying but I fully realize the sum total of it all is minuscule compared to what many people deal with each and every day, from infants to the very aged. I joke about it all but at the same time I would never trivialize the suffering endured by so many. May we all seek the Great Physician and find in Him all that we truly need. …More later.

No comments: