Monday, October 22, 2007

On My Way!

As I grow older I am more often reminded that this life, this job, this day even, is not my final destination. The old song says this world is not my home, I’m just passing through. This should not make us flippant about the opportunities we have TODAY! I heard a fellow once say that he wanted to keep all of his credit cards maxed out because when he left this world for the next he no longer would have to worry about it. While that may sound humorous or cute it actually violates God’s plan for us to live an upright life and have a good testimony while we are “just passing through”.


Many of us see heaven as an escape route as opposed to a homecoming. The more we look forward to seeing our Savior it is the more we should realize the importance of making the life He’s given to us here count for time and eternity. Just last week when I went to the doctor I could not believe the traffic. I left in plenty of time to get there early but I ended up barely being on time because I had to wait two or three light changes for each traffic signal for what seemed like an eternity. The doctor told me my blood pressure was up. I told him if he had been riding with me his would have been up also. I told him I had checked my blood pressure earlier and it was fine but the traffic and me nearly being late had caused it to go up. He laughed and said that he treated traffic people not folks who have quiet, sedate lives.


So why do I get so up tight about being close on time? I honestly don’t know exactly why but I can hardly tolerate the thought of being late. I know other people who are consistently either right on the exact time or a little late and they never show any signs whatsoever about it bothering them. NOT ME! I like to be at least thirty minutes early to just about any type of appointment I have. I plan around that concept. I check and double check to make sure I will be on time. To me, it’s a respect issue. Then when traffic fails to cooperate, what happens? My blood pressure goes up and I am no longer focused on being the kind of person God wants me to be. Why? I end up being agitated and out of sorts over something I had no control over.
Next time I will leave even earlier but that’s no guarantee I will make it on time because there may be an accident or I may have a flat tire. It could be anything. What we all need to do and especially me is to take a deep breath and realize that once we have done what we can do to the best of our ability, then we should not become distressed when things don’t work out. In fact, not working out the way we want it to may put us in a position of opportunity to help someone else or to learn something we need to learn. Seeing everything in life as potentials for ministry is much better than doing the slow burn inside that causes the doctor to raise his eyebrows.
We are all put together differently. I don’t really know where I got this punctuality thing but it is part of who I am. The challenge is to see it all within the big picture of God’s sovereign control over all things. And, I could use some help in being more understanding towards those who seem never to make it to anything on time. Yeah, I’m just passing through, but still having to learn lessons each and every day. Here’s hoping that you don’t have one of those blood pressure raising commutes in your journeys today! ….More later.

No comments: