Wednesday, October 3, 2007

People Are Passionate About Things That Really Concern Them!

My wife and I made a trip to Scotland several years ago. We were there for about eight days. During that time we were startled at just how many of the Scots relive events that took place hundreds of years before. They talk about them as if they happened yesterday and they are easily stirred, some nearly to tears about grievances held for generations. They see American history as a drop in the bucket with our less than 250 years. These people have been in touch with Sir William Wallace and his exploits on behalf of Scotland in the late 1200’s long before there was a movie called Braveheart. I found this preoccupation with history being so prevalent in modern day by day living to be very interesting.

I once attended a huge international computer conference out in Arizona. People were there from all over the world. During one of the large meet and greet receptions people were milling around, some in small groups, and others sitting at tables and talking. There was a table not far from where I was standing and a very animated conversation was going on. People were speaking to each other in very loud tones. It seems some technologists from Poland were arguing with some technologists from England about how the Brits failed them at the beginning of World War II. They were red faced and at one time essentially in each other’s faces. Why? Obviously, even forty plus years after the fact these people were still passionate about what had happened to their relatives and their country.

Last week I was able to catch bits and pieces of “The War” on PBS, the recently completed documentary series done by Ken Burns. It is gripping to watch the film footage of scenes from WWII, see the photos, and hear the testimonies of those still living from that generation who fought, or supported on the home front, and somehow survived this catastrophic challenge. My dad was a part of that war. His twin brother also served. Two of my uncles, brothers of my mom were in combat as well. Others who had married into the family did their time overseas. I’ve heard many stories about those who were left behind and how each day they waited for any word from their loved ones. Yet, our passion today about those great American struggles seem not to be in the same category as those mentioned above.

I can, to some extent, identify with the American Revolution because I’ve read and studied what happened during that time period. In the same way I can grasp some of what happened during the American civil war and know that being from the South how this war changed our country. But I would not engage in a major argument with the Brits over what happened in the 1700’s and I would not bring up the Civil War with those whose ancestors wore blue in order to try and settle some issues from that time period. One of my uncles served in Korea. Two of my high school buddies died in Vietnam. I am not immune from strong feelings about these matters but I do not hold any grudges against the children of our enemies who participated in these conflicts. Maybe this reflects upon my personal profile, or the brevity of the age of our young republic, or our general sense as Americans in being able to forgive, forget, adapt, and move on. At the same time I know there are many who still hold on to their hurts and suffer as a result of the impact they have felt from these experiences.

The illustrations mentioned at the beginning of this piece do cause me to wonder what I am passionate about. I applaud any and all who stand up for what they believe in and are willing to defend their position. I would like to think that I am passionate about the Great God I serve, my family, my responsibilities, and my country. If these things reflect upon my passion it should show up in how I live my daily life and others should be able to see it at work in the choices I make and in the way I deal with people. I observed the passion of the Scots and I believe it was real. I saw firsthand the passion of the Poles and the Brits and it was also genuine. The Bible tells us that we are not ultimately citizens of this country or even this world, we are only passing through on our way to our real destination, the Heavenly Kingdom Land. May it be that each of us who are believers will represent well our true homeland and that we will have a passion to make a difference in our time here, in the same way others did who came before us! …More later.

No comments: