Thursday, October 4, 2007

Brushy Creek School!

Like most kids growing up in a rural area you always seemed to be drawn to those things that are bad for you. I can remember at age ten or eleven I became fascinated with those who chewed tobacco. When I was younger I had seen my Sabine River bottom cousins dipping snuff but that was way too uncultured for someone who lived in town (population 300). I had heard that Beechnut chewing tobacco was sweet and I was on the look out to try some at the first available opportunity.

While it pretty much repulses me today, back then there was something neat about a fellow pulling out his pouch, rounding up a handful of leaves, making them into a wad and sticking it into his mouth. It all looked so enjoyable and pretty soon there was enough to begin the spitting. And spit they did. Dark and syrupy which could be aimed by those who took the time to hone their skills.

Well, I wasn’t able to get Beechnut so I had to settle for Bull of the Woods. It was more like a plug made into a square. Don’t know where I got it. It may have been partially used or lost out of someone’s pocket, but I sure was glad to get my hands on it. When you are ten years old and ready to enjoy something as fine as a good time with chewing tobacco you must first find a good place to hide. That’s right. Hide. The Bible says the more wrong things call out to us, it is the more we naturally desire to do them. I don’t know about you but I know exactly what it is talking about!

I headed down to Brushy Creek to find me a quiet spot where I could usher in some good times. I came to an old narrow walking bridge and sat down on it with my feet dangling over the creek. I pulled out my plug of tobacco and bit me off a big chunk. Bull of the Woods is not sweet, in fact, it tasted unbelievably terrible. Maybe I needed to chew it more and get it to unlock its great flavor. I knew you were supposed to spit at some point in time but I was not clear exactly when, therefore, I had begun swallowing quite a bit of the tobacco juice.

As I sat there looking down into the creek I began to see ripples and circles in the water or that’s what it looked like as I became more and more dizzy. Everything around me began to move like a boat in rough water. Probably within fifteen minutes of my great adventure there I was laying face down in Brushy Creek. Once I was able to get up I threw the cud away but then began to throw up. How could anything look so good but taste so bad?

That pretty much cured me of chewing tobacco although I did try some Beechnut years later when my brother in law shared some of his with me. It was sweet but perhaps not sweet enough because it didn’t stay very long in my mouth. I had learned a valuable lesson at the Brushy Creek School of Hard Knocks and it’s one that has served me well for over fifty years. …More later.

No comments: