Friday, November 30, 2018

"Once in our world, a stable had something in it that was bigger than our whole world." ~ C.S. Lewis

We made it. I'm standing here looking behind and I can see yesterday has faded and a new day has dawned. (I know. It is still dark, but, bear with me. It is intended as a figure of speech.) That new day happens to be the last one we will work with in this month of November, the 30th, here in 2018. We are getting ever closer to The Christmas that started for some retailers, seemingly, back in the summer. For the wife and I, our work related to the season starts in earnest beginning with a long day scheduled for tomorrow in the professional studio. With God's provision, we will be juggling this, that, and the other to make the many appearances on our schedule that runs through December 23rd. Thankfully, the Santa Enterprise will not interfere with our understanding of the Real Reason for the Season. In our upcoming lessons in the Sunday School class I help to teach, we will be looking at a number of passages that tell of how Jesus, the Jewish Messiah, and Savior of the world, came to live among men, women, boys, and girls here on the planet. The entirety of history prepared for His entrance where all of history found its purpose in His Story. Here's a little harmony song the wife and I have sung together for more years than I can remember. It is one of my favorites: "Ring the bells, ring the bells, Let the whole world know Christ was born in Bethlehem Many years ago: Born to die that man might live, Came to earth new life to give, Born of Mary, born so low, Many years ago. God the Father gave His Son, Gave His own beloved One. To this wicked, sinful earth, To bring mankind His love, new birth: Ring the bells, ring the bells, Let the whole world know Christ the Savior lives today As He did so long ago!" I suppose we can be called professional Christmas entertainers in our portrayal of Santa and Mrs. Claus. At the same time, we do our very best to keep Christ in Christmas. Amen.

Here's a tidbit I wrote 11 years ago on Thursday, November 29, 2007. It's worth our consideration again. ~ We have all heard the admonition that we should stop and smell the roses. It's one we should all pay heed to given the uncertainties of life. As I unlocked the main gate at our facility this morning at 5 a.m., the sky was bursting with brilliance from the light of the moon and stars. What a wonderful way to start the day by looking up and seeing the handiwork of our Great God! It reminds me of that song written by David found in Psalm 19 where he says the heavens declare the glory of God. He goes on in this great song to speak about various elements within God's created universe that essentially proclaim God's existence. I love the part where David said this: "There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard." In other words, God is speaking through His creation all over the world and no one can misunderstand the message. Question is, have we stopped to listen and respond? ~

One of the things that stay on our front burner as we approach the next few busy weeks: Our health. I can remember back when it no doubt was a part of our program, but, we actually never really thought too much about it. Not anymore. Okay. I'll say it. We are older folks engaged in what can be a very strenuous work and with all of our known ailments, it is something we have to consider. We will be handling children and based on our experience, some of them will bring with them their colds, sniffles, and other maladies. That's one reason we have been trying to walk as much as we can. Trying to keep all the bones working and in the right sockets. We made 3 miles one day. My hips were singing their own song and it was not a happy one. The Claus business is physical, it's verbal, and it does have some built-in stress due to the environment and its expectations. I'm just writing about it. I'm certainly not complaining. We are not forced to do it. And, it has been and continues to be very personally rewarding. I'm not just talking about the pay we receive. Let me put it this way. If the product you hope to deliver is joy, well, when you do that, what a great feeling comes over you. The elderly lady with tears in her eyes, the child in the wheelchair with a huge smile, and the hugs and the "I love you's" and on and on and on. Thanks for letting me share because, to tell the truth, I needed to hear about the joy stuff. I do hope you have yourself a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I will do my best to catch back up with you, come next Monday. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: