Friday, November 16, 2018

“Think of your mother and smile for all of the good precious moments.” ~ Ana Monnar

Mom and Dad with us in Jasper, Texas in 2013. 
Good morning and welcome to today where we will be observing Friday, November 16, 2018, at least until one tick past midnight tonight. That gives us all some time to get on with the life God has given to us in this, the Day that He has made. Amen. For me, I will go and spend several hours beginning this afternoon reprising my role as the jolly old fellow at the professional photographer studio. The wife will be with me and she is the best Mrs. Claus I know. We also have events on Saturday and Sunday. This weekend ushers in a very busy schedule for the Santa Enterprise over the next several weeks. I signed us up so I have no one to blame but myself. My mom, who took her heavenly flight 18 months ago, was one of our biggest fans. She loved seeing the photos of us with the children. She and dad drove over to see us for an event we did in Jasper, Texas. I think this was the only time they actually got to see us in costume in person. They had a ball. Mom went around the restaurant encouraging people to have their photo made with us. We say we are in the joy delivery business and I am so glad that on that particular evening, we certainly made her day. Sweet and precious memories. Amen.

I spotted this recollection for Flashback Friday. The wife's brother, Preacher Boy Milton Rawles, left this life and went to his heavenly home on January 31, 2016, at the age of 75. Eleven years ago, I had this to say about us meeting up with him and his dear wife, Glenda. ~ We May Never Pass This Way Again, My wife’s brother and his wife were in the area this week because he was preaching in revival services nearby. Bro. Milton and I go way back. He surrendered to God’s calling to preach the same year my wife and I were married. We became his first wedding. This was in December of 1964. I’m not sure who was more nervous, he or I, but we made it through it and now he likes to tell people that he must have tied the knot really good because it’s still holding. Well, our response is that it’s still holding only by the grace of God but we love and appreciate this great couple. Bro. Milton has been in the ministry now for nearly forty-four years and he still keeps a busy schedule preaching all over the United States. I know the only man in the Bible called "a man after God’s own heart", was King David, but I’ve often said this same thing about Milton. He has been a champion in the race God has given him to run. Today he’s plagued with a number of health issues but seeks to serve God faithfully until that day when he takes his flight to his real home. My wife and I met them for lunch yesterday and it was a wonderful time. Unfortunately, the first twenty minutes were spent catching each other up on all the body parts that are suspect or causing us trouble. I thought to myself they might as well bring four bottles of glucose and hook us up! We had a great time bringing each other up to date on our families. They shared stuff about their two sons and all that’s happening in their families. And, of course, we were more than willing to talk about our clan and all that is going on in our world. It was a special time and one that we will treasure. ~

You thought what? That surely by now I would have run out of something to write about? Here's a little secret. I most likely did some time ago but that didn't keep me from my keyboard. That's how I roll. The other day I saw a missed call on my cell phone. I returned it. It was the wonderful man I worked for during the past 12 years, Bro. Ronnie. He apologized for accidentally calling my number. We talked for the next 20 minutes. I so enjoyed that accidental call. I told him how that at times I still immediately think of my work schedule when I am planning something in the future. How I would manage to get to work, get things done, get off, and then get to that particular event. We laughed. This phone call gave me another opportunity to express my appreciation to him and his family for all they did over all those years for me and my family. As for the retirement game, well, the word is getting around. One day this week, an older couple driving by stopped to congratulate me on my retirement. I told them it was an interesting adventure and that to me it was basically going from one job to another job. They laughed and said they supposed I had a new boss now. I told them that I had not accomplished a lot thus far but I had perfected how to say, "Yes Mam." They roared. I'm glad they got a good laugh out of it. I'm not sure it was that funny. Oh well, the journey continues. Have a great day, a good Saturday, and don't forget that Sunday is the day set aside to worship our Lord together. You know, down at the meeting place. Until next time, may God bless each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: