Tuesday, September 11, 2018

“You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this tragedy.” ~ Colin Powell

Good morning and welcome. It is Tuesday, September 11, 2018. Seeing that date immediately reminds me of that fateful day back in 2001 when our sense of security here in our country was not only rocked by the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon but, it forever changed us as a nation. It goes without saying that families are still grieving the loss of their loved ones who were massacred in this act of terrorism. Simply put, we couldn't believe what had happened. We were in shock. We recognized our vulnerability. And, for so many, including myself, we turned to God and sought His help. Churches were overflowing as people tried to make sense out of this cataclysmic event. Another amazing response happened. We, individually, and as communities returned to and embraced our patriotic spirit. The American flag became the symbol of our resolve. My parents and their parents remembered exactly where they were when they first heard about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. They could tell of the shock and how they attempted to process this news. They then would go on to describe the response as a nation founded on the principle of liberty came together in unity to deal with this attack. Our lives are partially defined by our recollections of events like Pearl Harbor and 9-11. Sadly, but more or less to be expected, not too long into the recovery, the patriotic fervor waned and the seeking of God and His help also faded. In memory of this day, we would all do well to reaffirm our total dependence upon God, and to renew of love for the nation He providentially gave to us. Amen.

I missed my little buddy yesterday and this morning too. He typically works the midnight shift. My observation tells me this little guy is very committed to his job. Maybe he called in sick or had to take the day off. I sure hope nothing bad has happened to him. He does have a very dangerous job. I don't know his name. Okay. I wrote all of that to describe a little dog that chases my truck every morning around 3:45 a.m. in the same area on the country road I travel. He is very dedicated to his calling. He times his response when I pass. And, he, with great commitment, enthusiasm, and excitement attempts to fulfill his purpose. He is a little fellow but he has a very agitated and loud, distinctive bark. He typically sits on the opposite side of the road patiently waiting. I show up and he comes across to try and attack my tires. And, yes, I worry about this little "Benji" looking dog because of the cars that might be coming around the curve on that side of the road. Maybe he got promoted to the day shift. Maybe his provider did the right thing and changed his job description. I never really got acquainted with him because he was always on the run, so to speak. One thing is clear, he was faithful to his job. He was always alert and prepared to do it well. Here's a thought: Maybe he retired and is now enjoying just laying on the front porch dreaming about the ones that got away.

One of my favorite observations by our Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ, has to do with the widow and her giving of her offering. We had a visiting evangelist in our services this past Sunday and this is the text he chose for his evening sermon. Gospel of Mark 12, Verses 41-44: "And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the people were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, 'Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.'" (New American Standard Bible, NASB) Like I say, this is a favorite text, but Bro. Bob Pittman's three points really drove home the application. ~1) God doesn't see things the way we see them. 2) Giving is never about the amount, it's always about the heart of the giver. 3) Little is much when God is in it. ~ God blessed the presentation of this text with a God-honoring altar call, and, I believe many of us were moved as God spoke. My grandfather used to doze off during the services. If anyone said anything about it he would say he was just resting his eyes. There have been days when my blood sugar did precipitate me nodding off in the services. When that would happen, I had to deal with the embarrassed stare of she who must be obeyed communicating with me from the choir. She even signaled someone to elbow me a time or two. I didn't like nodding off so I worked on it. My doctor adjusted my medication and I am so thankful that it is not the problem it was before. This helps me not to miss anything coming from the pulpit. For that, I thank the Lord. And, I can stay alert, pay attention, and report back to you. That's good for everyone. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: