Thursday, September 6, 2018

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, (1803-1883), American Philosopher and Poet

It's time. If we are going to get on with the journey then we all have heard that it has to begin with the first step. How do you like that bit of wisdom to get us started here on this Thursday, September 6, 2018? I do not charge for the encouragement provided in my blog. And, just so you know, most of the advice I give is pretty good, but, alas, I don't always follow it myself. I should. But, that too is part of the battle. Sometimes it's easier to preach than it is to practice what you preach. And, it's a whole lot easier to spot the other fellow's failings than it is to deal with your own. This is what Jesus had in mind when, during the famous sermon on the mount, He spoke about this issue. "And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’, and look, a plank is in your own eye?  Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." (Matthew 7, Verses 3-5) The great preacher and theologian, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, had this to say about these verses, "Jesus is gentle, but he calls that man a ‘hypocrite’ who fusses about small things in others, and pays no attention to great matters at home in his own person." I better move on because I'm sure I have some 'great matters' I need to be addressing. Amen.

I also thought of the account shared by the Apostle John concerning the woman caught in the act of adultery. ~ But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; He sat down and taught them. Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act.  Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.” (Gospel of John, Chapter 8, Verses 1-11) Did you know many of the early Church fathers wanted to leave this passage out of fear that some would think Jesus was condoning this woman's sin? It's clear He did not condone her sin. Read it again, for the first time! The big question is what did Jesus write on the ground. Many believe he wrote the sins of her accusers. I don't know what He wrote but whatever it was it changed the dynamics of the situation. My point? He can write everything about us because He knows us from the inside out. And, if you should like more ideas as to the interpretation of this passage there is a bookshelf full of commentaries with the writer's thoughts and ideas.

I have been a Bible teacher for many years. I do have some Bible training. I greatly enjoy pursuing the studies needed to prepare myself to teach. That's one reason I write so often in my blog about Biblical subjects. There is an academic factor involved in dissecting the Bible accounts. I have to always remind myself that my pursuit must be focused on the spiritual if what I teach is to be faithful to God's enabling gift and if it is to be honoring to Him. Simply put, when I am building a lesson and doing it the way I should, it follows that beginning with me, God speaks. Having students who are enamored with style, approach, and even the delivery is never a substitute for them being able to hear God speaking to them as the Word goes forth. I appreciate people who seek me out to give them my thoughts about a particular Bible passage. That carries with it a weight of responsibility to handle God's Word carefully. I tell people all the time that I am not the 'Bible Answer Man', but, I do embrace the fact that God has the answer and the Bible is the place to seek it out. I thought maybe I should share these thoughts because I do not want anyone to get the idea that I am pontificating from my high position. Remember that old saying, "One beggar telling other beggars where they found food." Okay. Now that we have finished all of that it's time to say so long for now. I do pray for God's blessings on each one as we continue the journey of life that He has given to us. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: