Wednesday, September 5, 2018

“Ministering Christ to others so that Jesus might be reproduced and grow in people is the highest service to both God and man.” ― Henry Hon, Christian Author

It's exciting to report that Wednesday is already here. Wow! The middle of the week. Already? And, it finds itself cataloged as September 5, 2018. A three day holiday followed by a short work week, is this a great country or what? When was the last time you thought of in detail all of the things you are thankful for? Detailed list. I feel the need to do that from time to time because God is to be recognized and thanked for His provision and His working in my life. I am to a great extent a realist as it relates to my perspective, hopefully, tempered by my faith. When we were at the special needs elderly center on Monday, I couldn't help but see myself there in the future. I later mentioned it to the wife of my youth. She mostly has the view of dealing with that when the time comes. That's not a bad way to view it, but, for me, it causes me to be thankful for my 'today', and, the things I am still able to do. The wisest man who ever lived, except for our Lord Jesus, Solomon, also thought about how it would be when he would become an elderly person. He envisioned a time when he would have to be helped and when his body would no longer work like it did when he was younger. By thinking about it in this way, he was inspired to see this in the context of what to do about it in his here and now. His excerpted conclusions, ~ "Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, Before the difficult days come.." ~ "Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil. ~ (Ecclesiastes Chapter 12 as rendered in the New King James Version, NKJV) The bottom line, serve the Lord with the life He has given to you, TODAY! Amen.

Granny and PawPaw Mac celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary.
My mom's mom, our Granny Mac would have been 105 today. She left us at age 80 and when she went home to be with her Savior she left behind multiple generations she had influenced. I am so thankful for her servant's heart. That showed up time and time again in our family. Granny and PawPaw on more than one occasion inherited those in the family struck by great challenges or tragedy. Several different families at different times. Granny was never in good health. Never. However, she was always a person who wore her faith in God on her sleeve. She was a voracious reader. She loved reading her Bible and all kinds of commentaries and the writings of Christian authors. She was a prayer warrior. She was a renowned cook. I can also remember some of her faults. Lest you forget, we all have them. When dad passed away, mom and the six of us kids moved in with Granny and PawPaw. They had plenty on their plates when we came there, but, they opened their home and their hearts to us. We lived with them for nearly three years before our house was finished and ready. They had their hands full trying to keep us in line. Granny Mac was close to her huge clan in a group sense but also on a one on one individual basis. I can't begin to rehearse all she meant to me but I can only thank God for her and all she did to shape my life. And, as I think about her I would be remiss not to mention coming in the back door and being hit by wave after wave of smells from the meal she was preparing. Yep. Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me. Amen.

Over the years I have been given many wonderful gifts by my children and grandchildren. All of them know of my legendary status as a 'coffee drinker' and most of them know that I am also a legendary 'Community coffee drinker'. I suppose we all have to be known for something. I can't think of anything I enjoy more than when they make something for me. I have received many coffee mugs over the years. I am looking at one at the moment from our Lexie Dee that she made and gave to me eleven years ago in 2007. (She is a senior in high school this year!) It has some free handed art with a big heart in the middle. I can think of several others. Amanda Faith gave me one that she found and it had this inscription, "Poppy loves his grandchildren almost as much as he loves his coffee." The year before last Alexander Benjamin made the one with his artwork in the photo above. I know I am not the Best Poppy Ever, but, I greatly appreciate him putting that on the cup. I loved watching the old black and white 1936 movie, "Little Lord Fauntleroy." It's one of those tear-jerkers, rags to riches stories. After the child in the movie becomes Lord Fauntleroy he left the states to take his rightful place in the family mansion in Great Britain. He gave a keepsake book to one of his beloved friends, Mr. Hobbs. The inscription in the book said this, "From his oldest friend, Lord Fauntleroy, to Mr. Hobbs. When this you see, remember me." That's exactly what happens when I look at one of those coffee mugs. I think of the person who gave it to me, and, I typically say a prayer for them. It's way too early in the morning for a Hallmark scene here at my computer station, therefore, I better get out of here before I need my handkerchief. Take care, and have a great rest of the day, and, may God add His blessings. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: