Friday, September 28, 2018

I think my hourglass somehow figured out how to function in hyper-drive.

Good morning and welcome to Friday, September 28, 2018. Another month is about to slip away from us and they do seem to be clicking off quickly these days. A lot of research has been directed in trying to unravel the mystery of why time seems to move faster as we grow older. The experts think they know some of the reasons. When we are younger we experience many new and enjoyable things. Those have to be processed and stored by our brains for future reference. Because they are things that may have been stimulating and enjoyable, therefore, when they are remembered they seem to have lasted longer. As we age things become more routine and we do not pursue as many new experiences. Thus, the theory is the routine seems to move more quickly. At any rate, everything is moving quickly for me. That might mean I am stuck in the memory fast lane of a boring, routine life. I don't see it that way, but, I will be the first to admit I am a creature of habit and routine. My own opinion is our age does, in fact, give us a sense of the clock running out. I do know that I find myself at times thinking about if I live for another five, ten, or fifteen years, how things will be. Or, maybe, it's just a natural part of life. Or, maybe, no one knows. Even the scientists still call it a mystery. And, there are times when it does seem to be much slower than it should be. Waiting in line. Any line. Anytime. Oh well, as we all say from time to time, "It is what it is."

Here's my flashback Friday from September 28, 2007. ~  "One Hundred Blogs And Counting! Today marks my 100th blog! It should now be clear to those who read my blogs why my grandfather used to worry about me coming up for air when I was talking. It has been quite interesting since typically I don’t really think often about what I am going to write until I sit down to do it. I am thankful to use this forum to share some about my life and how God has, in spite of that unholy trinity made up of me, myself, and I, brought me this far. In the final analysis, we do in many ways reflect the sum total of all that’s happened to us and God is the only One who can make it into something that has a purpose, meaning, and ultimately can bring honor and glory to Him. Having 100 stories reflecting past and present events, ideas, thoughts, opinions, and testimonials make me at the least a junior blogosphere junkie, and a card-carrying member of the blogging universe. I already have one granddaughter who reads my daily recollections and perhaps someday the rest will do so as well, and even their children might later on. It will be interesting for someone to hear a great-grandchild say, “No wonder I am like I am, just look at Poppy and his experiences!” That will be good because it will help connect them to our family heritage. Just think about how many times I’ve mentioned my Paw Paw Mac. I also hope some of these meandering musings have brought a smile since truly the funniest things in life are those that really happen." ~ (For better or worse, that little blurb was written some 2,800 blogs ago, and, it pretty much is still working like it did when I started.)

Part of life involves having to say so long for now to loved ones and dear friends. This past Wednesday, our dear sister in Christ, Anita, went home to be with her Lord and Savior. She experienced that wonderful change when she became absent from the body and present with the Lord. (2nd Corinthians 5:8) Sister Anita could easily have her photo in the dictionary beside the word 'servant'. She was a seed planter in that she worked with children her entire life. I searched to find a photo that describes her life and found the one above. That's Sister Anita on the right, leaning over helping the little ones to do their crafts. She and her husband Ronnie had three boys. Her beloved Ronnie passed away in 2001. Sister Anita picked up the pieces, raised her boys, while also devoting herself in continuing to bless the lives of children of all ages. We were blessed to know this dear lady for over 20 years. I thought about Sister Anita and all the kids that have passed through her classes in Sunday School or in her AWANA Bible Club sessions. Many of those kids are out there today making a difference. Some are still in school from elementary through college. Some have become missionaries, many are moms and dads, business managers, law enforcement officers, medical and dental technicians, educators, and they reflect every walk of life one might think of. The best news of all is how that many of them have followed her example and are actively engaged in serving the Lord through a local congregation of believers.  She made a difference. For time and eternity. She gave her best to her Lord. That, my friend, is what we, as believers, are called to do. She was a part of the Thursday Evening Gathering that met in our home. We will miss her. However, we know we will see her again. We have God's Word on it: "But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." (1st Thessalonians 4:13-18) Please join us in praying for her family at this time. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday, and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: