Thursday, September 13, 2018

"Oppose not rage while rage is in its force, but give it way a while and let it waste." ~ William Shakespeare

Here's my tip of the hat to the NFL, meaning: Neighbors, Friends, and Loved Ones. That's not original with me. It was actually the theme of my son's Church where they had a tailgate fellowship this past Sunday. We continue to not watch the NFL. This is our second year. I really couldn't use the word boycott because we've just moved on to other things. It's a personal decision. I don't feel bad towards those who continue to follow the sport and their particular team. I'm also not on a crusade to keep them from making up their own mind. I could say I will quit buying Nike stuff, but, that would be somewhat self-serving since I haven't been buying any Nike stuff in the past. There are probably a number of other hot-button issues I could throw out, but, I thought those would suffice for today, on this Thursday, September 13, 2018. On these issues and so many more, there is enough rage to go around. Here's a factoid that got me to thinking about this: "A writer was upset with an online review of his book, so he traveled to Scotland, hunted down the reviewer, went to the store where she worked and hit her in the back of the head with a wine bottle." I do not commend his actions, but, at least he didn't just write hateful stuff about the reviewer. Rage of any kind typically only begets more rage. For me, I say one should make decisions in keeping with their values. If that means watching an old black and white war movie instead of football, go for it. And, I do need to do my best to not be influenced by the naysayer noises coming from the 'better half'. Come to think about it, I could be dealing with some rage coming soon to a location near me.

I did see one meme that struck a chord with me. It said us older folks could cripple the younger generation if we all started writing everything in cursive and driving vehicles with a stick shift. Like I say, I thought it was funny. I read a list of things that older people do that does tend to tick off the younger generation(s). ~ Thinking that every young person knows everything about electronic devices and should be able to fix them. ~ When they accidentally call the younger person on their cell phone, over and over again, accidentally. ~ When they ride with the younger person they hold on to whatever than can like their lives are in jeopardy. ~ Anything that follows the phrase, 'When I was your age ....' ~ Seeing the stuff the older person is sharing on social media. Are you kidding me? Really? ~ Watching the older person trying to use their phone to take a photo. ~ When older people show up super early for any and all events. ~ The classic: Older men wearing their trousers nearly up to their necks. ~ Being cranky. ~ Driving slow, really slow. ~ I did see a blurb from a study in the UK that said one of the reasons old people slow down is because they know so much. Another one I saw said that being forgetful was a sign of intelligence. That reminds me, "Does anyone know where I might have laid my glasses?

We cannot deny that we do change as we grow older. Based on my own personal experience I would say these changes can be amusing. Fortunately, my wife still has a sense of propriety because one of the frequently heard refrains goes like this, "You're not wearing that, are you?" That is a really difficult question. Let's see if we can break it down. I'm walking towards the door with the keys in my hand. I report. You decide. Maybe, the better way to have said it would be, "Please change into something that will not cause me to die from embarrassment." Suddenly, just as I finished that sentence I could hear Merle Haggard crooning away, "Mama tried to raise me better but her pleading I denied, That leaves only me to blame 'cause Mama tried." I have never dodged the truth that I am a work in progress, forever and ever, Amen. I hope everyone enjoys old people jokes. While they can. If God provides, you too will get to this destination. I saw a little blurb of a millennial making a joke about the founder and president of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, testifying before a congressional committee. The punchline said, "There's no way that group of old whitehaired people lets him leave the room without fixing their WIFI." See what I mean? Again, enjoy it while you can. Okay, that should wrap up the senior citizen feature for this week. May God bless each one is my prayer. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: