Tuesday, July 10, 2018

"Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones." ~ Proverbs 16:24, as rendered in the New King James Version (NKJV)

Good morning. It's Tuesday, July 10, 2018, and I bid each one a hearty welcome. Yesterday I published my 2,850th blog. Let's not dwell on the substance, but, that, my friend, is a whole lot of words slung onto the electronic page. The famous novel 'War and Peace' has 587,287 words. I typically average close to 1,000 words per episode. This means I've imposed on the blogging world significantly more than 2,000,000 words over the past eleven years. This gives me the opportunity to once again say this about that. Thanks to those who take the few minutes to keep up with my daily musings. I appreciate each one. I am also thankful for those who send me feedback. It is always good to know when a particular story stirs a memory or other thought. Some have asked when I will hang up my blogging adventures. Here's how I see it unfolding. Right now, I can sit down at my keyboard and when I think of something my fingers still respond probably at 60 words per minute. I started to say at 60 miles per hour but I will be the first to admit that I have entered that phase of life where it can be said of me that I am more built for comfort than speed. And, lastly, I still enjoy seeing what I can come up with. I've told you before. I do not lack for material, however, there's much that will forever remain silent. Not so much to protect the innocent, but, likely, better stated as the right to not incriminate me, myself, and I. Mostly joking on that one.

Originality? Good question. Original to me, perhaps. But it was the wise King Solomon who had this to say,

"That which has been is what will be,
That which is done is what will be done,
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which it may be said,
“See, this is new”?
 has already been in ancient times before us.
There is no remembrance of former things,
Nor will there be any remembrance of things that are to come
By those who will come after." (Ecclesiastes 1:9-11, New King James Version)

I think maybe packaging one's recollections into a story is where interest can be found. We all are, for the most part, storytellers and our material typically comes from the things we experience or observe in the living out of our lives. I talked to a man a couple of weeks ago who is will soon be 88 years young. He said he well remembers things from when he was one year old. He proceeded to tell me some of his earliest recollections. They were about things in his family on the farm. He went on to say that most people scoff at his telling of these memories. I didn't scoff. In fact, I was very impressed. These recollections belong to him. He believes he was there and can remember what happened. Regardless, they are his stories and I was pleased that he shared them with me.

It's been my privilege to share the teaching responsibility in our Sunday morning Bible study time. I and another fellow have recently been alternating lessons regarding the life and times of the shepherd boy king, David. From the time we meet him, likely no older than a 15-year-old, when the prophet Samuel anointed him as the next king over Israel, until the time when he draws his last breath at age 70, this fellow, David, he lived as much of a jam-packed life as one could imagine. I think it interesting to consider his training. He no doubt knew The Scriptures from the teachings of his dad and his mom. He, most likely at a young age, was also enrolled in Shepherd University. Moses actually spent 40 years training at the University of the Dessert, where, he too was schooled in the life of being a shepherd. This shepherd training was quite remarkable in that it reflected the essence of God and His relationship to His people, His sheep if you will. The first reference to this unique relationship is found in the last words of Jacob, another shepherd, as recorded in Genesis 49, where Joseph is the subject of his prophetic blessing,  "Joseph is a fruitful bough, A fruitful bough by a well; His branches run over the wall. The archers have bitterly grieved him, Shot at him and hated him. But his bow remained in strength, And the arms of his hands were made strong By the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob (From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel),..." Here's a challenge. Do a study in your Bible on the subject of shepherding and the work of a shepherd. It will culminate and point to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, The Great Shepherd! I leave you with probably the most recognizable shepherd passage, inspired through a shepherd boy by the name of David:

1) The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2) He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3) He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
4) Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5) You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever. (The 23rd Division of the Psalms NKJV)

Pretty amazing stuff if you ask me. See you next time and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: