Thursday, July 12, 2018

"Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind." ~ Mary Ellen Chase

Thanks to Alton Holmes for this photograph made in our home.
Hello and welcome to this day, Wednesday, July 11, 2018. I'm sure something important happened on this day in history but I didn't check to find out what it might have been. Most days do have something like that. I enjoy giving out our Santa and Mrs. Claus souvenir cards. I don't give them out randomly, but, I will tell you that many who receive them are very happy to get them. Here's the way I see it. It's a small gesture but if it helps to bring a smile, then, why not? At the same time, I am not so inclined to be thinking about juggling our schedules to fit in the appearances we typically do each year. I prefer not to begin thinking about thinking about needing to do that until August each year. Well, this year Christmas planning came early to several of the folks we work with each year. I have seven events penciled in and another one in the planning stage. Don't get me wrong. We love doing these appearances and in our own way helping families to make memories. I suppose it's the long hours in The Chair, the coordinating of my work schedule, and the stress involved in rushing home, making the transformation, and then fighting traffic to make it on time. Those parts of it are not as much fun, however, when you see a child's eyes light up and they kiss me on the cheek and tell me how much they love me, well, it is then that I think to my self, "Is this a great country or what?"

It has been our great privilege for many years to work with Mindy Harmon, Woodlands' professional photographer. This is the ad and photo currently running in her email newsletter:

"Santa in JULY??!!!???

It's July, it's hot and most people aren't thinking about Christmas yet! But, lots of our 'planner' type moms are already calling about our Santa schedule! The Art and Magic of Santa will be back again this year with special dates! We have opened up our calendar to our newsletter subscribers first! Grab your Santa appointment before they are announced to the public! Our first date with Santa is Oct 20th so we can get your portraits ready by Thanksgiving Gatherings! Book online at mindyharmon.com or call the studio at 281-296-2067! Ho! Ho! Ho!" ~ And, for those who are wondering, that would be 'yours truly' with those adorable children who are checking to see if their names are on the Nice List. I will be doing new promotional photos with Mindy next month. (August) Maybe it's time for me to look into one of those cooling vests.

We watched the President nominate Brett Kavanaugh as the next Supreme Court Justice. My wife was fidgeting because they interrupted Ninja Warrior. I thought it was a very respectful presentation of the man, his credentials, and his tremendous judicial experience. Judge Kavanaugh may not be as conservative as the conservatives would like. However, I heard one person express it this way: He is not the nominee that a President Hillary Clinton would have nominated, and, we all should be thanking God for that. It would appear that to those on the left his confirmation to The Court could end civilization as we know it. I even saw a hit piece attacking his parading of his 'beautiful family' for all to see. They were trying to depict him doing that as part of the packaging campaign. How about this? His family should be there because this is the greatest work-related event in this man's life. He has been nominated to the highest court in the land, to a position that only 113 individuals have served in since 1789 when the court was established. I think what really riles these critics is the portrayal of an intact family that obviously loves each other. They don't like those kinds of families. In their view, the traditional family is an insult to our advanced society. When I saw his wife, who is accomplished in her own right, and those two girls, it made me proud. Proud of him and his family. Proud that he has achieved this distinction, and, the big one, proud to be an American. Others saw it differently. They have that right as well. Enjoy the rest of your day and may God bless each one and may He bless America. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: