Friday, July 6, 2018

Johnny Cash: "How high's the water, mama? Two feet high and risin' How high's the water, papa? Two feet high and risin'."

Happy Friday to each and every person tuning in to today's episode. This one originates from the ole blogger ranch here on this end of the work week, July 6, 2018. When I see people driving through flooded intersections, I feel for them, because many of them are compelled to get to where they are going. This includes people who will do almost anything to make sure they get to their workplace at their appointed time. That tends to be a stronger inclination in some people compared to others. I should know. When the wife and I married I was working for a construction company on the building of the Toledo Bend Dam project. I worked as an assistant to the fellow who was charged with doing maintenance on the 100's of pieces of equipment used to work on this project. My 20-minute commute took me through some pretty difficult muddy makeshift roads. It also required me to cross a creek. Literally. Not on a bridge, but, on a concrete slab poured in the creek itself. We did our maintenance work at night. One evening I started down the steep slope and noticed the creek was up. It had rained some in our area but it obviously had rained even more in areas that fed this creek. I had some reservation about entering the water, but, I also had a determination to get to my job. It was dark and I didn't know how deep it might be. I found out. It was not only deep but I ended up swimming in swift waters just to get back to the bank. My point? I likely might use better judgment today, although, I would likely still try to make it if I could. At the same time, I well understand those who feel within their being a desire to keep their commitments.

Eleven years ago, I wrote an entire blog about my dad. It had to do with my working hard to try and remember the sound of his voice. I'll not share the entire six paragraphs, but, here's a little glimpse into my thoughts on that particular day: "I turned seven years old in August of 1953. Dad died on January 2, 1954. It was an unbelievable experience for us all. I well remember him being carried from our apartment on a stretcher to the ambulance. I well remember the outpouring of grief and sympathy accompanying his death. There was a memorial service held in Port Arthur, Texas. His body was then transported by train to a small rural town in Louisiana where another funeral service was held and he was buried nearby in a local cemetery. I remember all of these events clearly. I can replay them in my mind. The problem I have is in remembering stuff prior to his death. I know the psychologists say this type of blotted out or blocked memories is not unusual especially in children who experience such an earth-shattering traumatic event in their life. I can pick up bits and pieces, here and there, but seven missing years? That’s always been a really tough thing for me to deal with. I know I was just a kid but I also know we lived in different places and I know I had to have been involved in lots of different things, but most of it is at best seen only in fading glimpses of shadows, along with stories I’ve adapted from hearing others share their recollections." Just so you know, I still can't capture his voice after all these years, however, I've learned to enjoy the memories I do have and I do thank God for them. Amen.

Here's my often repeated feature that may seem tedious to some because I mention it so often. Understanding and applying the truth regarding the days of the week has the potential to change your life. I know that from experience. Another work week has come and soon it will be gone. I've enjoyed spending time with those who read my stuff each day. We will officially finish the week tomorrow, Saturday, the last calendar day of the week. I hope you will enjoy it. Then, Lord willing, we get to start a brand new week. That's called Sunday. I like to tag it as Lord's Day Sunday since that's when we traditionally meet with other like-minded believers to worship the Lord, study His word, and to build each other up in the faith. Since that is the first day of the week, I think getting it kicked off by showing honor to the Lord is not a bad way to go. Yeah, I know. I say that a lot. It's like a broken record, so to speak. I'm in good company. Here's what the Apostle Paul said to the local assembly of believers meeting in Philippi, Greece: "Therefore, my brethren, rejoice in Our Lord; it is not tedious to me as I write these same things to you, because they protect you." (Philippians 3:1) Some things are worth repeating. I think you know exactly what I am talking about. Have a great one, be safe, and know that God is our strength as we continue our journey here. Amen.  ...More later.

No comments: