Tuesday, June 12, 2018

“The past beats inside me like a second heart.” ― John Banville, Author

Good morning, it's Tuesday, June 12, 2018. I've heard some feedback on last Friday's rerun from June 8, 2007. What would be interesting is to know if anyone recognized any of it from when I originally wrote and published it. Not likely. Yet, if you label it as a reprint from eleven years ago, well, that immediately taints it. Really? That's okay. I thought I had something in the works but when I arrived on Friday morning, the storage locker was empty. I could have thrown something together but I had other fish to fry, therefore, I came up with the idea of using one from the past. And, I actually thought it was pretty good. The wife and I talked some about all the changes that have taken place between the time I wrote that one and today. Our brother-in-law, Charles, the husband of the wife's sister, was still with us back then. (Received his promotion on August 11, 2012.) The wife's brother, our dear Bro. Milton was going strong back then. (Received his promotion on January 16, 2016.) Even with the wife being gone, I could visit each day by phone with mom and dad back in 2007, however, they both made their arrival to their heavenly home last year. Lots of changes, but, if you read that old blog, some things are pretty much the same. I still miss my better half when she is gone, and, it's obvious that she is married to a certified character. I started to say weirdo but I have never been certified in that category. Please don't send me your other ideas about me because I'm pretty much dealing with as much as I can handle at the moment.

Speaking of how things change, we were listening to two of the sons from the Statler Brothers and the boys sang a tribute to their dads, Class of 57. That song is poignant because it speaks about what happened in the lives of the classmates of 57. You likely recall some of the lyrics from the verses. ~ Tommy's selling used cars, Nancy's fixing nails. Harvey runs a grocery store and Margaret doesn't care. Jerry drives a truck for Sears, Charlotte on the make. And Paul sells life insurance and part-time real estate. Helen is a hostess. Frank works at the mill. Janet teaches grade school and probably always will. Bob works for the city. And Jack's in lab research. And Peggy plays the organ at the Presbyterian Church. Betty runs a trailer park. Jan sells Tupperware. Randy's on an insane ward. Mary's on welfare. Charlie took a job at Ford. Joe took Freddie's wife. Charlotte took a millionaire. And Freddie took his life. Johnny's big in cattle. Ray is deep in debt. Where Mavis finally would up is anybody's guess. Linda married Sonny. Brenda married me. And the class of all of us are just part of history. Then the chorus, And the class of '57 had its dreams. We all thought we'd change the world with our great work and deeds. Or maybe we just thought the world would change to fit our needs. The class of '57 had its dreams. ~ I was only 11 in 1957 but I have often thought about those I spent so much time with during my school years. A good number have gone on to their reward, while others are dealing with life in their own way. Some have been successful in business while others have tended to just get by. Many have had to deal with adversity that yielded a good testimony of their faith and reliance on God. It's called life. Here's some advice from our Creator through the Apostle Paul, "So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days." (Ephesians, 5:15-16, New Living Translation)

This was the crew that showed up back in 2014 for our 50th high school reunion, the class of 1964. We graduated from a small rural school. I think we had 26 in our graduating class. Where were the other 20? Some actually still live in the area but chose not to come. Our family moved to that little town in 1954 after dad passed away. The folks in that picture were there when I got there. (3rd grade) I was the only one at the reunion sporting a long white beard. I was the only one there who had as an alter ego, the jolly old elf himself, Santa Claus. Margaret, Freda, Connie, yours truly, Larry and Roger. I think the last time I had seen any of these people was at our 25th reunion. Let me do the math. That would be 25 years. However, all but one of the people in the photo are active on Facebook so we haven't lost touch. I ran on the playground, climbed trees, and scuffled with those two boys. The first time I ever went on a date in a car I was with one of those girls. I wrecked the car and we had to call our parents to come to get us. It was a borrowed car and I had hit a tree. I was old enough to drive but not too old to get a whipping. I think that may have been the last whipping I got. Isn't it interesting how those 'most humiliating' events stick with you? My lip hit the steering wheel and it was swollen about twice its normal size. At school, I had to endure the taunting about what a powerful kiss that girl must have had, given the shape of my lips. We were probably first-year high school students. Kids, once they are sure you are not going to die, they let you have it. I'm sure that's still how it works today. I didn't feel comfortable writing about that but life is not always about being at ease. Needless to say, we didn't continue our dating. I'm sure her mom put my photo on the refrigerator with an X over my face. That's okay because I did finally come in contact with God's provision for me, and, she's still making cornbread from scratch. Yum Yum. Take care and may God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: