Friday, June 22, 2018

“Always do your best in whatever you do; set goals and seek challenges; become a role model for those coming behind you; and always have God in your heart.” ― Charles F. Bolden

It is. That would be correct. Friday. June 22, 2018. Eleven years ago I devoted my entire blog to the work ethic that was handed down to me, primarily through my grandfather, Paw Paw Mac. My mom could easily have been part of that influence as well. A widow with six children, she literally worked her fingers to the bone. However, I was mostly doing stuff with Paw Paw Mac. I thought about sharing a portion of that old blog, however, it is very long, and I couldn't decide how to edit it without losing some of the story. That was early on in my blogging days before I realized that most people had better things to do than read long-winded wordy essays about my so-called life. I hear you. So, what's changed? I think I've actually made them shorter. Don't believe me? If you click on that blogger link you can search within my postings for June 22, 2007. I am still thankful for the influence that caused me to view work as a calling. For the most part, I get up each day with an expectant attitude regarding the work God has allowed me to participate in. You think what? It may be mostly habit? And, the problem with that would be? The Bible tells us that Joseph and Mary went up EVERY year to Jerusalem, as devout Jews, to participate in the God-ordained commemorations. It tells us it was their custom. Habit. See what I mean?  (Luke 2:41-42) "His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast.")  Amen.

The wife is getting ready to leave me. Again. Next week. It is way past just the neighbors talking at this point. She will be heading to Louisiana to visit her sister and brother. It's pretty sad when they come out with a poster that helps convey the story of my life. I don't mind her spending time with her family. I'm all for that but I just don't like for her to leave. I start getting uptight several days before she drives off into the sunset. What's that? Don't be such a big baby? Let me tell you something, after nearly 54 years, I have every right to throw myself a little hissy fit if that's what I want to do. (In case you are not familiar with the hissy fit, here is one definition that will help: A sudden but violent outburst of a person shouting, screaming recriminations and (possibly) wailing, generally short-lived but shocking.) I'm not sure I can live up to that. Joking aside, I really do function so much better when she is around. One would think I would be used to it by now. One might think so. Not this particular one, however. I suppose the good news is that she will only be gone for a few days. We do have some very important Church-related activities coming up the weekend of the 30th. I'll take that. I do hope she enjoys her visit. After all, I do remember that song sung at our wedding on a frigid Friday night in December 1964. It had this sentiment, "Thy people will be my people my love." It was much later that I found out the song was based on the commitment expressed by Ruth to her mother-in-law Naomi. (Book of Ruth, Chapter 1) Mother-in-law? Who knew?

Someone posted this one the other day. It's an oldie but it may have a smidgen of humor in it as well. ~ This young man was at McDonald's and he noticed an elderly couple sitting at a table. The older man had purchased a Happy Meal and he was carefully dividing it between the two of them. He cut the burger exactly in half. He then did the counting of the fries, one for her, and one for him. He got it finished and the old man began eating. The young man walked over to the table and told the couple, "Hey, I would be more than happy to buy another meal so that both of you can have one." The old man looked up and replied, "No thank you, we have always shared everything for our many years together." The young man noticed that the old man was eating but the old lady was just sitting with her half in front of her. He inquired again and asked the old lady if there was a problem. "She smiled and said, "No problem at all Sonny, it's his turn to use the teeth." ~ Okay. So it may not warrant a drum roll, but, for us older folks, it is considered if nothing else to be slightly amusing. We've had quite a week. We have a busy Saturday and Sunday ahead of us. Church. A wedding. And, I might add because it typically turns out to be true, "And, who knows what else?" I do hope you have a good weekending Saturday and that the first day of the week, Sunday, finds you in the gathering place where God's people come to hear from Him and respond. See you next time, and may God bless. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: