Monday, June 11, 2018

“Hello, Monday. May I ask you a question? Why are you always back so quickly? Don’t you have a hobby?” ~ copied

Good morning on this back-to-work Monday where we continue to enjoy this spell of hot weather. Today's edition clocks in on this June 11, 2018. I talk a lot to my eldest son. We talk a lot about political stuff. We know that God is ultimately in charge because He is Sovereign. At the same time, we realize that stuff happens in real time and for the most part, it's never that easy. Often when we are trying to make sense out of some of our President's actions, well, we end up saying it might be a part of a strategy but obviously if it is, understanding it is way over our pay grade. There are some things that our President does that just do not make sense to me. I voted for him. I still support his efforts to build up America. One quick example. On Memorial Day he tweeted out a recognition of the families of the fallen. Very nice. However, he went on to say that if those who died were alive today they would be so proud of all that he has accomplished. He then listed what he considers to be his major accomplishments. That didn't go over well with many of those who have lost loved ones in battle. It didn't feel right to me as well. I know the President believes the mainstream news media doesn't give him the credit he deserves for the good things that are happening. I get that. And, it is true and can be proven. At the same time, please don't piggyback your accomplishment spiel when paying tribute to our fallen. That's how I saw it. I know what some have said about the criticism he received. Those guys died to make our country free. The President is honoring them by doing what he can to keep us that way. I will grant that to be a position, but, I will continue to believe the recognition and honoring of our fallen should be handled in a sacred way. You can choose to see it the way you want to. You can. I give you my permission even though you didn't need it. Yes. Even to disagree with me.

In early December of 2014, I drove over to Louisiana to be at a banquet where dad was going to be recognized for his many years of service to that little town. He had served as an alderman and mayor pro tem for 25 years. Someone got the word out to some of the little kids that I was the real Santa Claus. One little guy, in particular, took that very seriously. He had obviously had some difficulties with his behavior and he was desperate to know where he stood in terms of the soon coming Christmas gifting season. He would leave and then come back. He started more than once to explain how he got into trouble doing this, that, or the other. I had never seen such a 'true believer'. It was all good fun, but, I tried to reassure him that if he would do his best to be good I thought everything would work out okay. I found out his mom was one of the administrators at city hall and I sent her a message with my photo telling her about how much fun he was. She said he couldn't even sleep when they got home. He was still bubbling over with excitement and even more questions. I've said all of that to say this. Time marches on. The other day our niece-in-law put up a photo of their daughter, (our great niece), with a young fellow sitting next to her. I recognized him right away. It was my little naughty or nice list friend. (The photo is from before, then fast forward to today.) But, he most likely is no longer worried about Santa Claus because as the song written by Willie Nelson puts it, "A'int it Funny How Time Slips Away."

We had a family gathering this past Saturday to celebrate Fathers Day. This was one week early but since our granddaughter, Brittany, and great-granddaughter Gabi are visiting from Fort Riley, Kansas, we decided to go ahead and get as many of the family together as we could. I know it's summertime, but, the wife decided to fix a family favorite for everyone to enjoy: Thanksgiving Day Dinner. I don't even want to try and describe how good the food was because everyone tends to think I brag too much. It was melt-in-your mouth delicious. All of it. However, I will say this about that. It was special and I am thankful she was willing to spend a day and one half getting everything ready. I remember how my mom, her mom, and our grandmothers beamed when everyone enjoyed the meals they prepared. There was a whole lot of beaming going on. She gets to do that on a regular basis. Just last week, I came home to find she had gotten hold of some freshly picked farm raised peas. She fried up some okra and made pork chops. Scratch cornbread. Sliced tomatoes. Pepper sauce. Glass of iced tea. It was so good I had to have seconds. I typically don't do that but the occasion more or less demanded it. I think I had a piece of cornbread in a cup of milk for dessert. That line-up may not mean much to the majority, but, to me, it will beat 5 stars every day of the week. And, in case you wondered, I am unanimous in my own opinion. Take care and enjoy the rest of your Monday and may God add His blessings as we do our best, with His help, to keep on keeping on. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: