Thursday, June 28, 2018

"Some of the world's best educators are grandparents." ~ Dr. Charlie W. Shedd

Paw Paw Mac with my nephew Thomas. Thomas is now in his mid 50's.
This week. It is chugging on along. Today finds us with the occupied sign lighted. Occupied with doing our best to make the most of the day the Lord has provided to us, on this Thursday, June 28, 2018. I'm not sure when the wife is coming home. I do know she has an important event Friday evening at the Church and she typically wouldn't be inclined to miss that. Using my head for something other than a hat rack, I conclude that she will be back in our world between now and Friday evening. See, Paw Paw Mac, I can use my head for something other than a hat rack. That was one of his sayings that I heard pretty often. Typically, because I had done something that didn't make a lot of sense. And, if I responded with the 'that's not what I intended', he was always quick to ask, "Okay, then exactly what did you intend?" That one served me well throughout my career in the computing and telecommunications world. When we had a big mess up of some kind, my people had to learn not to tell me that it was not what they intended because they would hear loud and clear, me channeling Paw Paw Mac regarding their intentions. Paw Paw Mac's point? Make sure you intend to do the right thing the right way, then do it. They caught on and would sometimes ask for my grandfather's saying that might help to move a plan or project forward. A few months after I left the big company I received this 3-inch thick album with photos of all of those who had worked in my organization. Each one had written something. It's good to know that you have made a positive difference as you make your way forward in life. And, thank you, Paw Paw Mac, for your help along the way.

You think at times I may overdo it regarding the influence on my life of folks like my grandparents? Hey, remember the guy who wrote the book entitled, "All I Needed to Know I learned in Kindergarten". It was a runaway best seller. The writer was emphasizing the life lessons learned at a very early age. I didn't read the book but I've experienced in my own life those types of learning experiences and my folks, including my grandparents, helped to facilitate my development. Here is a poem by the author of that book that sums up his thoughts on this subject.

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten
by Robert Fulghum

Most of what I really need
To know about how to live
And what to do and how to be
I learned in kindergarten.
Wisdom was not at the top
Of the graduate school mountain,
But there in the sandpile at Sunday school.

These are the things I learned:

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life -
Learn some and think some
And draw and paint and sing and dance
And play and work everyday some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world,
Watch out for traffic,
Hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.

I am so thankful for those who poured themselves into my life, especially as I was growing up. More important than anything else is the spiritual heritage that I was exposed to as a child. That's right. They helped shape my appreciation for God and His working in the lives of those who are His own. It made a difference in my life. For time and eternity. I am often reminded of a sales executive I was having lunch with one day. He said he understood I was one of those committed Church people. He asked if I went to network for business reasons. I told him I went because I am a believer and all that being a believer entails. He then laid out his philosophy regarding religion. He said that he and his wife were not religious. They agreed to not influence their children one way or the other so their children can make up their own minds. I immediately told him that he and his wife were already greatly influencing their children and most likely they will end up holding the same beliefs or lack thereof of their parents. I'm glad those in my life did not adopt that approach to my upbringing. They knew they could not be made right with God, (saved) for me. They knew that a day would come when I would have to respond to the call of Jesus in my life. To accept it or reject it. Their desire was to expose me to what it means to place faith in Jesus and then to walk with Him throughout life with all of its challenges. As I conclude today, I know what some of you are thinking. He wants to know exactly when she is coming home so he can get the house put back together. My response to that? It's not nice to read other people's mail. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: