Friday, June 29, 2018

“I wanted to figure out why I was so busy, but I couldn't find the time to do it.” ― Todd Stocker

Good morning. It's Friday, June 29, 2018, and we have business to take care of today. Okay, class, does everyone have their checklist with them? I have mine. It includes 'the wife' returning home. I could put the 4th of July on the list. That's next Wednesday, therefore, we will be getting a day off in the middle of the week. I know you know this, but, here in my blog I don't even begin to scratch the surface in talking about all the stuff we are involved in, and I know it's the same for everyone. I'm trying to remember if the people, back in the day, were so immersed in the incessant drumbeat of stuff that needs to be taken care of, every single day. It's like we've all agreed that if we are not always on the go, running to and fro, then, we are not pulling our weight. Fortunately, not everyone is caught up in this cycle of the harried hurry. We notice that when we visit some of our folks who still live in 'the country'. While some have joined their city folk in finding a spot on the spinning gerbil wheel, others continue to be pretty laid back. We've experienced that because we used to be a part of that scene, and, we still get to observe it from time to time. I've written about this before. Here's something from a couple of years ago where I was talking about these country folks stopping to take the time to love and care for our family during a tough time for us. "Their response was commendable. We who live in a more city environment try to do this as best we can but often it doesn't seem to be the same. Maybe it's the speed of our lives, schedules, and in general the busyness of being perhaps too busy." My point? Here's a quote from the late great comedian Eddie Cantor,  "Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why."

You do have to remember that at one time I was a paid consultant. You know what they say about consultants. For those who can't do the job themselves, they end up telling others how to do it. Or something like that. At any rate, I will readily admit that I am much better at giving good advice than taking it, especially from myself. I don't mind leading by example in being busily engaged, but, I'm not one to do the same when it comes to slowing down, and yes, even taking the time to smell the proverbial roses. For me, it's always I'll get there, one of these days. The good news for me is that I enjoy my routine and schedule. I don't see it as a drag. I do get questioned about this. "Hey, do you ever take any time off?" Yeah. I took a week off and went to Florida last November. "You did? It doesn't seem like you ever go anywhere." I appreciate those who care enough to be concerned, but, for the most part, I do not feel the least bit deprived. Since I was a young boy I have been a traveler. I've been all over the world, and back. That habit continues to this very day, but, it is all in my mind. I watch travel programs. I love seeing exotic locales and cultures. And, what happens next? I look at the clock beside my bed and it is 3 a.m. Time for me to get up and get going. But, I did enjoy my time of traveling here, there, and everywhere. (One last time, please don't send me the name of your psychiatrist. I think that train left a long time ago.)

We are all put together differently. Some more different than others. I plead guilty along with my right not to share any additional information that might tend to further incriminate myself. As you can tell, I'm not one given over to keeping up with the Joneses. You might not know, but that phrase originated with the comic strip 'Keeping Up with the Joneses', created by Arthur R. "Pop" Momand in 1913. The strip ran until 1940 in The New York World and various other newspapers. The strip depicts the social climbing McGinis family, who struggle to "keep up" with their neighbors, the Joneses of the title. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't care what others think about us. We should. In fact, the Bible has much to say about our representation to others. But, for the right reasons. One of my favorites, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16) That verse implies that when others see us they should see something, our good works. Yet, in observing the manner in which we do what we do, they get the message. We do it for the honor and glory of God. I think I might need to take a time out and think about that one for a good long while. You know. Doing stuff that doesn't call attention to ourselves but points others to God. I need some work on that one. Maybe you do too. Enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I will do my best to be back in my place, here at the ole blogger ranch, come next Monday. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: