Monday, February 5, 2018

“They call me, The Sharkalator” ― James Patterson

This must be the place. Well, it will have to do as we try our best to get back into the groove on this back-to-work Monday, February 5, 2018. Nicknames. I was thinking about that subject the other day and trying to remember all of those associated with yours truly. My name does have a Junior attached to it, therefore, there have been times when I was called Junior. I went through a chubby phase and I'm pretty sure I got some cute little names connected to that. I've never been a big person and because of that, I, at different times, had the identifier, 'little', stuck on the front of my name. My middle name is Al and that led to me hearing 'Al my pal' quite often. And, throughout my life, I've been given the call, 'Hey Abbbottt!' since Abbott is my last name. That comes from the vintage Abbott and Costello comedy team. They said that to me as a way of identifying me with the short guy in the duo. However, it always bugged me because the tall one was Abbott and the short one was Costello. Sometimes you just have to let people have their fun. I've always been a committed worker in whatever job I've held. That's led to some names being tossed around as well. While some thought I was one who kowtowed to my bosses, I actually was only attempting to do my job as best I could. This misunderstanding led to me being called 'the fair-haired boy'. I may have been called 'slick' a time or two. One of the funniest was when an executive I reported to coined this beauty, 'the Phil Rizzuto of our Company'. Really? He said he called me that because that particular New York Yankee would dive for easy ground balls. I suppose he thought I was one who liked to call attention to myself in grandstanding in my work. He eventually was shown the door. I wasn't. When I had an organization of over 150 people, they privately called me their 'daddy'. That was a term of endearment because I did my best to work as a shepherd in caring for my flock. I am at present not little like I once was so that pretty much cancels that one out. Whatever they called me when I trended towards being on the plump side might fit again. However, I am today known by many as 'Brother' because of my association with the Lord. I do like that one but it does imply a responsibility for me to demonstrate the connection that comes with the name. I didn't include Dad, Poppy, Honey, and the variety of other family related names because those are titles that I am most proud of. I'm still puzzled about the Phil Rizzuto tag but I suppose if the cleats fit, you have to wear them. (Phil Rizzuto, just so you know, was elected to the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame in 1994.)

I re-looked up the word, verbosity, and it still means the same thing. "The quality of using more words than needed; wordiness." I suppose this is where I either plead guilty or the fifth. I was not able to find a genetic connection, therefore, I don't think it was handed down to me in my genes. Back in the day, it may have been referred to as the 'gift of gab'. And, after having sad it so many times, most can remember that my grandfather pretty much summed it up when I was a kid, "I worry about that boy whether he's going to ever come up for air." He was talking about me talking. I will admit this trait has carried over into my writing. This can be a liability but I am thankful that being able to write and speak has been of tremendous help in my work career, and even more importantly, it has allowed me to serve the Lord as a teacher for some 45 years. When I rode the bus into downtown Houston for years and years, I would write out my Bible study lesson in longhand on my journey. I didn't read the lesson to the class. I didn't even use it as a guide. But, it helped me to work out my thoughts about the passage I would be covering. I used the same method when preparing for a big work-related meeting or presentation. I can still see all the red marks and squiggly lines on an essay I would turn in for a grade. Looking at it at first glance would almost take my breath away. Then I would see the note from my teacher. She said I had a natural talent and she could see such great potential. Maybe that's why she was tough on me. She wanted me to be better. I think she had a particular issue with the run on sentences I often used. Sorry, Mrs. Jones, but, it may be a little late to do much about that one, but thanks ever so much for your encouragement.

Last Tuesday evening we went over to our baby boy's house to enjoy a time of feasting and fellowship. It had been a long time and the wife outdid herself with the wonderful fried chicken meal she prepared. It was one of those melt in your mouth delicious meals. Kyleigh, who is now coming up on her senior year in college, has a little Yorkie dog named Rocky. Everyone knows I am not a pet person, but, I never want to see any animal mistreated. At any rate, Kyleigh and I were sitting on the couch and Rocky jumped up to be with us. She told me that he has a habit of snapping at people he doesn't like. Whew! He liked me. A lot. He is a funny little dog. He wanted me to keep scratching his head. Over and over again. Later, when I was on the couch, he jumped up and I was looking at my messages on my cell phone. He pawed that dude down and let me know it was time for me to scratch his head again. They were all impressed. Rocky likes Poppy. We have a next-door neighbor who took in a stray dog. That dog, from day one, has liked me. Am I going soft, or what? Back when I was thinking some about retirement, I used to think some about a little dog riding alongside me in my pick-up truck. That was a nice thought, but, for me, I think I will just be happy that Rocky didn't snap at me, or, worse, bite me. And, the neighbor's dog likes me too. I think that will do for now. And, we had ourselves a wonderful time with our children and grandchildren and Rocky too. Take care and enjoy the day the Lord has made and given to us. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: