Friday, February 23, 2018

“Happy the man who can endure the highest and the lowest fortune. He, who has endured such vicissitudes with equanimity, has deprived misfortune of its power.” Seneca, (Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

It is Friday, February 23, 2018, and I say howdy from my world to yours. I have only a snippet from my blog, ten years ago, and I share it today to emphasize how the names and circumstances may change but having to deal with the everyday vicissitudes of life continues. Unabated.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2008

Thank God He's With Us On Friday

"I'm still somewhat hobbling around on my busted knee from falling off the platform in my Bible study class last Sunday. Our little Lexie is having ear surgery this morning. Our beautician daughter-in-law has been down with the flu this past week along with our little Alex and one of our twins, Amanda. Last night my mom informed me that the doctor had advised doing a heart procedure to deal with a potential blockage and she and dad wanted to know what I thought about doing this at her age. I continue to work each day on my diabetic situation but some days it can be a real challenge. Sound familiar? It should because these are threads that make up the fabric of our living here in this fallen world."

This week, I've had at least two near misses that could have been calamitous. Sunday after services, I was driving down the feeder and the fellow in front of me put his turn signal on. He turned into a drive. But! He immediately recognized it was the wrong place and he jerked his vehicle back onto the feeder directly into my path. Slam on brakes. I dumped everything on the seat onto the floorboard. Scary. Then, this past Wednesday, while out on company business, I was making my way onto a major freeway. I was driving in a blinding rainstorm. I got up to speed at around 65 MPH. Suddenly, a red pickup truck came sailing by the front of my truck. He had come from three or four lanes to my left trying to exit the freeway. He was fishtailing as he came by and nearly lost it when he had to make a hard left turn to get onto the exit ramp. I didn't even see that truck until he was in front of me. I am not one to blow my horn, but, I laid down on it until the hill of my hand felt bruised. Maybe 30 or 40 seconds. I'm not sure how far I made it before I was able to breathe again, but, it seemed like a fair distance. Twice in one week! The good news is that in both cases I did immediately thank God for His protection. What's that? Maybe someone is trying to tell me something? That's always worthy of consideration. It reminds me of my grandfather's often used advice, "Son, you better straighten up and fly right." There may have been an "or else" thrown in for good measure.

The lingo experts are unclear as to the 'fly right' portion of this admonition. Some think it may have to do with an insect or a bird, while others think it might be an aircraft of some kind. The late, great, crooner, Nat King Cole had a song in 1943 with that saying as it's lyrical theme. The words to that song don't really add much to the conversation. One thing is clear. I didn't need a dictionary to understand exactly what Paw Paw Mac was talking about. I do appreciate those who keep up with my daily machinations. This week has been somewhat of a smorgasbord in terms of the things I have been dealing with. Yes. I know that smorgasbord is most often used in connection with a type of food buffet, but, it can, as I have used it, also reflect a variety and/or wide range of different things. (Look it up.) Embrace variety. Winston Churchill said this, "A change is as good as a rest." I get that, however, sleeping in one day would be a change for me, therefore, it must be a good thing. Doing that has been an elusive one for me, I do know that. Okay. I've done more than enough damage for one week. I do hope you have a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I will do my best to be in my place, Lord willing, come next Monday. May He bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: