Monday, February 19, 2018

“How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!” ― Thomas Jefferson

Welcome one and all as we do our version of back-to-work Monday, here on this February 19, 2018. A week ago on Monday, the 12th, we observed the actual birthday of President Abraham Lincoln. Today, we celebrate Presidents' Day because President George Washington's birthday is this upcoming Thursday, the 22nd. Prior to 1971, we celebrated the father of our country's birthday on his actual birthday, the 22nd, however, they passed a new law establishing all the three day holidays and this includes his birthday as well. The official resolution still refers to this day as in recognition of President George Washington, however, it is clear that today's approach has been enlarged to include all presidents. That may be the reason it no longer means much more than a federal holiday to most people. As you can tell, we here at our company do not take the holiday, therefore, I am at my regular duty station reporting all of these confusing facts so early in the morning. The modern-day history revisionists would like to destroy any honor and respect afforded our founders. To them, they were, for the most part, white men who either owned slaves or allowed others to do so, therefore, they, shouldn't be remembered at all. Interestingly enough, the revisionists themselves live in this land of the free and home of the brave precisely because of the sacrifices and service of those they deplore. I suppose to them, the founders have become the deplorables of their day, but, to me, they are the champions of liberty and I thank God for them, warts and all, and for what they did for us all. Amen.

While I don't talk about it much, there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about mom and dad. Sitting here at my desk, I can see an envelope I kept that's written in mom's own failing handwriting. She had such a beautiful handwriting throughout her days, but, during the last few years, she was very shaky and she couldn't see very well. That envelope still has hints of her once beautiful cursive style. I remember. My briefcase has many papers that pertain to their material stuff that we are dealing with. They came out of dad's files, therefore, when you see them, you see and hear him. During their last few years, I did my best to be even more diligent to call at least twice a day, sometimes more, depending on their situation. Dad would often answer. She could tell it was me. He would try to delay giving her the phone as long as he could because she would be over there squirming around and reaching out. It was their little game. He was never my biological father, but, I came to love hearing him say, "How's it going, son?" I am sad not to be able to visit with them, but, I am not sad they have accomplished their journey home. They are now a part of that beloved family of ours that we will see again. That's not my idea. It's promised by the Creator God Himself, as inspired in His Word to us, "Now we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve like the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, so also we believe that God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep as Christians.  For we tell you this by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not go ahead of those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a shout of command, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  Then we who are alive, who are left, will be suddenly caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words." The Apostle Paul, from 1st Thessalonians, Chapter 4, Verses 13-18, as rendered in the New English Translation of the Bible, the NET.

The enlarged letters remind us that if we are the Lord's, as brothers and sisters in Christ, we will one day all be together with those who have gone on before us. We are to encourage one another with these truths. All of this is truly something to look forward to, however, I remind us all that seeing our loved ones will pale in comparison to the ultimate reunion when we see our Savior, face to face. I don't know how that will be but I do know it will be the crowning achievement of our faith. The mega-hit song by Mercy Me, 'I Can Only Imagine' attempted to put this into perspective. Here's the chorus, "Surrounded by Your glory ... What will my heart feel ... Will I dance for you Jesus ... Or in awe of You be still ... Will I stand in your presence ... Or to my knees will I fall ... Will I sing hallelujah ... Will I be able to speak at all ... I can only imagine ... I can only imagine." I don't apologize for sharing the truth as I know it, as that truth is a part of who I am. That, my friend, is the essence of the hope we have. It is not a hope so. It's the reality of our unseen certainty which is more real than what we see, touch and feel in our day by day living. We have God's Word on it. That is a reason to be encouraged. I can feel it. Can you? Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: