Friday, February 2, 2018

“Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean, Tears from the depths of some devine despair Rise in the heart, and gather to the eyes, In looking on the happy autumn fields, And thinking of the days that are no more.” ― Alfred Tennyson

Good morning and welcome to 'does the critter see his shadow or not' day, on this Friday, February 2, 2018. I've used up a lot of keystrokes in my blog space over the years dealing with this subject. From the very first February of my blogging adventure, in 2008, here's an excerpt, "So there you have it. Are we gluttons for the absurd or what? You can find Groundhog Day greeting cards, E-Cards, and of course, you can either purchase or rent the 1993 Bill Murray movie entitled Groundhog Day. If those do not appeal to you then how about some really neat Groundhog Day jokes? What happened when the groundhog met the dog catcher? He became a pound hog! What happened when the ground log saw its shadow? We'll have six more weeks of splinters! What would you get if you crossed February 2nd with a Christmas drink? You would get Ground Nog Day! Mercifully and finally: What's green, has four legs, and jumps out of its hole on February 2nd? The Ground Frog!"

In February of 2009, we were still reeling from the collapse of our Bro. Milton when he suffered a major heart attack while helping to rebuild our home after it was devasted by Hurricane Ike. Here's what I shared on my blog back then, "Welcome and greetings on this Monday, February 2, 2009. The Steelers won the Super Bowl (heard it on the radio this morning, did not watch it) and the groundhog will be testing his shadow spotting technique later this morning with many waiting to hear his forecast. But how in the world are you, anyway? My mom was admitted last Friday to the hospital where she is being treated for her pneumonia. I went over to Louisiana and spent the day with her on Saturday. She is making slow and steady progress but still has a way to go. Our Bro. Milton may require additional surgery to deal with his current blood clot situation. The family will be meeting with his doctors this morning to find out where things stand and what options are being contemplated. This recent setback has been very hard for Bro. Milton's wife and boys. It has also been a hard lick on my wife and the rest of the family. The doctors have determined his loss of eyesight to have been caused by a stroke. His short-term memory has also been impacted, however, he continues (loudly at times) to praise God for his mercy, grace, and goodness. He told the nursing staff that he did not want to be a bad patient because he desired to be a good servant of His Lord. This he has been, is now, and continues to be throughout this ordeal. Thanks to all who are praying for Bro. Milton and for my mom. Bro. Milton told me he knew that God was hearing the prayers going up on his behalf."

Fast forward to 2016, when, on January 31, our Bro. Milton took his flight to his heavenly home. We have so much to be thankful for regarding Bro. Milton's influence on all our lives. Here's what I first wrote two years ago at his passing, "Our dear Bro. Milton at age 75 experienced what it means to be absent from the body and present with the Lord yesterday at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. I was awake at 2 a.m. wrestling with the urge to go to Louisiana. I finally decided to go so I got up and worked up my Sunday Bible study handout and then drove over to surprise the wife and to see Bro. Milton. I was not prepared for how I found him since the cancer had progressed so much just in the few weeks since I had seen him last. Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to see my dear brother in Christ and my dear brother in law one last time. His hospital bed was just a few feet from where he stood to pronounce us as husband and wife. They told me that he had recently said he hoped to hear his Lord say well done. I told someone in our local fellowship if Bro. Milton doesn't hear well done I might as well not even get in line. We do thank God for his life testimony of humility, simplicity, and faithfulness during the running of his race. And, we are so very thankful for all who have prayed for him and the family. May God be honored as we prepare this week to celebrate Bro. Milton's life. Amen."

Since that time, we've said farewell for now to both mom and dad and others near and dear to us. That too is a reality in the sojourn of life. This is why the song calls them 'Precious Memories'. Overwhelmingly blessed is how I think about it. I do hope you have a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. See you, Lord willing, next time on this same station. May God bless. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: