Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Young fellow, "Are you the real Santa?" Me, "What do you think?" Young fellow, "I know you are, but, I wanted to find out if it's okay for me to give my list to one of your helper guys, just in case I don't get to see you again?"

Getting everything set-up for this year's Junior League Holiday Market.
This year's volunteer crew.
It's Tuesday, November 21, 2017, and I am thankful to greet one and all again. Oddly enough, this past weekend was the first time Mrs. Claus and I posed side by side to make professional photos for two days. We've made oodles of photos with the two of us, but, this was a planned photo capture and I couldn't have been more pleased. Maybe I need all the encouragement I can get and having her right there with me was a blessing. Working with the people of the Jr. League is always a wonderful experience. They treat us like celebrities and we so appreciate the respect and kindness they show to us. Many of the Jr. League volunteer ladies' families come and have photos made with us. It really is neat when they tell us we are the only Santa and Mrs. Claus their children know since they have had their photos made from the time they were infants. Some tell us to never retire. Given how tired we both were, I'm not sure we could promise that on an indefinite basis. From the time we would come through the front entrance at the big hotel, we were being celebrated and stopped for selfies. How can we ever say no to a "Please, please, please, just one quick photo!"

We do live in our own interconnected world of family and friends. These folks made a surprise visit to see us on Sunday afternoon. I remember when they were dating. We attended Allen and Kristen's wedding. Kristen's mom and dad, Bro. Ronnie and Sis. Oletha, own the company where I work. Allen and Kristen also work with me. I've watched those children grow up before my very eyes. I asked Bryce if he was ready to sing bass yet. He agreed his voice is changing. Mrs. Claus couldn't believe how much Zoe has grown. The baby, Addison, well, she has really taken to me during the last year. She is a cutie. It's hard to believe how fast they all are growing up. I did get word from my niece over in Louisiana about her grandson, Jaxton. His mom, Jessica, had taken him to a mall or store and there was a Santa there. She asked if he wanted to say hello to the Santa. He did. Jaxton explained to the Santa that he wasn't the real Santa because his Uncle Al is the real Santa. She said the Santa was surprised but thought it was cute. Here's my way of seeing it. He will outgrow this fascination soon enough. Let him enjoy it.

We also had family who came to see us. These are three of our great grands. On the left is Ila. She is the daughter of our Tiffany's fiance, Brandon. She is a special needs child and she seemed to love being with Great Grand MiMi and Poppy Claus. In the middle is our Gabi girl, daughter of Brittany and Ryan. Their little family is getting ready to relocate to Kansas for Ryan's US Army duty station there. Last but never least, our Madi girl. She is growing into such a lovingly spontaneous child, and we always enjoy being with her. I think Mrs. Claus had a hand in getting them to come and I'm so glad she did. It's going to be tough for us and grandparents Chris and Sherrie to say farewell for now to Brittany, Ryan, and Gabi. We do pray God's blessings on them as they make this transition and we thank God for Ryan's service to us all by serving in our nation's military. My wife often points out the eyes of the children when they first spot us. She thinks that to be very special. And, it is. And, yes, we did have some really good criers. No problem, I can deal with the crying. However, the arms flailing and legs kicking, I'll tell you, some of these kids are exceptionally strong. Yes. I know. It does come with the territory. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: