Friday, November 17, 2017

“Entering the house of God to dwell with God, beholding, glorifying and enjoying him eternally, I suggest, is the story of the Bible, the plot that makes sense of the various acts, persons and places of its pages, the deepest context for its doctrines.” ― L. Michael Morales, Who Shall Ascend the Mountain of the Lord?: A Biblical Theology of the Book of Leviticus

Good Friday morning to one and all. It's a great day to celebrate all that God has done for us, on this November 17, 2017. I was checking out some other blogs the other day and I discovered something. I guess because I started out with the title 'The View From My Pew' and early on changed it to 'The View From Here', well, my blog got categorized with other religious-themed writings. I don't know that it matters since I have no hooks to any other external sources on my blog, but, I thought it was interesting that I am identified in that way. You are right. There is quite a bit of Bible-oriented stuff that shows up here and perhaps some straight up teaching and a little preaching too. I'm okay with that designation, however, I'm not certain that I knew that was how it was perceived. Okay. Since I mentioned this grouping, I will tell you something. We are studying the Book of Leviticus in our Sunday morning Bible class, and, it is exhausting.  Not because of the bad rap the book gets since it does focus on the laws and commandments pertaining to how God desired His people, the nation of Israel, to function in every part of their everyday lives, but rather, to me, the writing is very convicting because it really does set forth the holiness of God and His expectations of His people. Moses becomes the spokesperson as God tells him exactly what to share with His people. One scholar commented how this direct communication from God, if written in red, would be the reddest book in the Bible. I mention it because it does profoundly set forth God's Holy Person contrasted with our fallen and helpless condition. This causes me to tremble in appreciation for how Jesus the Christ fulfilled every righteous requirement and gave Himself up as the perfect sacrifice on behalf of us all. Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! Amen.

I recently saw the British tabloids going crazy over the study that reported people there, over 65, were taking, on average, 5 pills per day. They called themselves a pill-popping nation. I didn't know how to feel about that article. I take thirteen every day, but, as they say, it is what it is. Most of my pills relate to my diabetes and its derivatives, blood pressure, and cholesterol; my arthritis, and a couple of other age-related ditties. I think 6 of mine are over the counter. I never took anything other than over the counter pills for minor arthritis up and until my diabetes diagnosis over ten years ago. (September 2007) Like I say, I don't know whether to feel like a pill popper or not. I guess if the moniker fits, then I have to own up to it. The doctor and I often talk about reducing some of them, however, my simple approach says if it is more or less working, emphasis on the more or less, don't rock the boat. One of the older fellows who used to work with me here came by the other day for a visit. He is 81 years young. He told me his doctor had taken him off his diabetes medications and said his numbers, at his age, could float quite a bit higher. I don't know if that gives me something to look forward to or not. I suppose the tabloids would call me a pill popper on steroids. (pun intended)

Never doubt me, I do know what I'm talking about!
This has been a relentlessly busy week for me where I've been chasing this, that, and the other, but, I do believe I am making some progress. Making some headway, by the way, is very crucial to staying with it. Having so much on your plate, as they say, is an indication of something. I'll have to get back to you on that one because the answer escapes me at the moment. In fact, escape, at times seems to be at least an option. You do know I am mostly kidding. Mostly. If the Lord provides, by the next time I show up here at the ole blogger ranch, I will have spent 10-12 hours in The Seat. The Santa Seat. I can never predict exactly how that all will go. I've written a little song to illustrate what I'm talking about. You might recognize it from a few years ago. "Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be, the future's not mine to see, Que Sera Sera. Will there be screamers, will there be dreamers? Will parents be happy or will I be sad? We'll just have to wait and see. Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be, the future's not mine to see, Que Sera Sera ." Well, that's a start. I think you get my drift on that one. (The original 1956 song was first introduced in the Hitchcock movie, 'The Man Who Knew Too Much', where it was sung by the lovely Doris Day.) I do hope you have a most wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Until we meet again, may God bless us, one and all! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: