Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Nehemiah 8:10, "Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength."

Good morning and welcome. Today we will be thanking God for this day, Wednesday, November 8, 2017. Here's a sign of the times. In the little town where I was born over 71 years ago, Many, Louisiana, I read a posted notice stating the Sabine Parish Sheriff's Department is offering a three-hour security seminar for Churches in their area. Given all that's happened in recent years, months, weeks, and days, my guess is they will have plenty of takers. I do have mixed feelings about this, but, I do understand why people of faith would want to take precautionary steps to protect the lives of those who attend their services. I know us older folks are often pigeonholed because of our 'good old days' mentality. However, I do want us to think about one thing here. I remember when the worst of the worst had respect for houses of worship. They would not ever think about crossing that boundary. Today, Churches, meaning the people, facility, and the property within that facility has become fair game. Good old days or not, my point is to say to us all that SOMETHING HAS CHANGED. That change in the attitude of respect for God and country reflects the diminishing of our society. And, I cannot leave out the fact that it is consistent with the inspired Word of the Living God, "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!" (From the Apostle Paul's second letter of instruction to his ministry helper Timothy. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

Why do I have mixed feelings? Seeing where people of faith meet become places that require State assisted protection gives me some pause, however, I do not criticize any who feel compelled to take these types of steps. I've seen some local fellowships who seem very proud of just how many of their members show up armed and ready to respond if needed. They promote this as a way of advertising. I'm sorry, but to me, there's just something about that approach that demeans the purpose for why we meet to honor the God we serve. I do know we all feel a responsibility to protect our own families as well as our extended family of brothers and sisters in Christ. Where will all of this lead? I don't know. I don't think it is completely out of the range of future possibilities to envision progress to where we would someday have to have screening at places of worship similar to what we see at airports today. Far fetched? You might think so, but, it would not surprise me how this could happen when we fully experience the Apostle Paul's prophetic picture of the full impact of a godless society. Not gloom and doom folks. God is aware and God cares and if you belong to Him, you, and I, and all who are His own are going to be okay, no matter what. That's not just me talking. We have the Creator God Himself giving us His word on it, "... For He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'" (Hebrews 13:5)

I want to mention something that has been really encouraging to me over the past several weeks. At our local fellowship, we've had several men who have called upon the name of the Lord in receiving Christ as their Lord and Savior. These guys have families. Let me just say this about that. There can be no greater impact on a family than when 'dad' gets right with God. That sounds sexist? Sorry. Let me try to say it again, for the first time. There can be no greater impact on a family than when 'dad' gets right with God. We as a society may have done everything we can to mitigate God's plan for the family, but, it is God ordained and He still works in families through the leadership of dad in the home. He does. Yes. He does. The Apostle Paul knew that. When that jailer fell down before him and asked what he must do to be saved, Paul pronounced that if he would believe in the Lord Jesus Christ that he and his household would be saved. That is exactly what he said. When Paul baptized the jailer we see the rest of his family being baptized as well. Can dad be saved for his family? Nope. Each one has to respond to the offer of salvation. But, when dad gets right with God, his influence will have a great impact on the rest of his family. Go read all about it. That account is found in Acts, Chapter 16. In our class at our fellowship, I taught the lesson last week. Afterwards, an elderly pastor in the class told me that both of his hearing aids were in the shop. He said that when I first started I was mostly talking kind of low and he couldn't hear so well, but when I began to preach a little he heard me just fine. I guess sometimes I do end up preaching a little. I do hope it is with the best intentions in mind, for the good of us all. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: