Thursday, November 16, 2017

"I don't care who you are, how much money you make -- if you don't respect our country, then you shouldn't be in this country playing football. Go to another country and play football." ~ Mike Ditka, legendary NFL coach and player

Good morning everyone. No doctor today. Late yesterday afternoon the clinic called and said there had been a last minute schedule change. Really? The result was my doctor would not be in today or tomorrow. Really? My only hope is this change was not prompted by him seeing my name on the patient list. Oh well, here we go again in pursuit of the circle of life, or, in my way of operating, it's called running in circles, on this Thursday, November 16, 2017. The mainstream news media have come to the defense of GQ Magazine's naming the NFL former starting quarterback and national anthem protestor, Colin Kaepernick, as their cover, designating him as Citizen of the Year. While they fawn and applaud over this selection, most God-fearing folks who love their country, well, they, including me, are appalled. If you read some of his comments about our country in general and other hateful comments he has made regarding our police and institutions, while at the same time he has defended ruthless dictators like Fidel Castro, well, that just doesn't sound like someone who would be singled out for a citizenship award. They are trying to turn him and his actions into something akin to the civil rights struggle. And, by the way, when is the last time anyone knew that GQ Magazine was still being published? That, my friend, may have a lot to do with it. I've never said he and others do not have a right to pursue their grievances. I believe the way to do that is certainly not to disrespect our nation, our flag, and especially those who have served and paid the ultimate price for our freedoms. They say they are not doing that. Many who buy tickets and attend games interpret their actions negatively. They no longer attend. Many who watch games on TV interpret their actions negatively. They no longer watch. The protestors using our anthem to express their views along with the news media call people who no longer attend or watch, racists. I am one of those who quit watching early on but I don't think I am racist, but, that's the world we live in today.

I'll even go one better. I'll accept the protestor's explanations for what they really wanted to communicate in getting their message across. I still disagree with their method. Period. It really is hard for most folks to identify with millionaires who claim themselves to be no different than slaves on a plantation. Mr. Kaepernick has recently filed a lawsuit against the owners of the NFL teams. He claims they have cooperated or colluded together to keep him from getting a job in the NFL as a quarterback. I actually don't know if they did do such a thing, would that be wrong? They have a business and they are attempting to protect the image of their business. His claim is that he is better than other quarterbacks who are being signed. I've been much better than folks who got promoted at different times in my working life. It happens all the time. I didn't know that could be the basis of a lawsuit. He does have lots of support, including those in other sports. Recently, there was pressure applied to the Houston franchise to sign him since their quarterback went down with an injury. For days, the headlines read like threats against this business entity. Really? They can hire or not hire whoever they decide would be best for their team. I can't remember a situation where media and activist groups were making such outlandish demands. Some pretty crazy stuff if you ask me. I didn't say we can't let the inmates run the prison, but, I certainly understood the metaphor from the get-go. Obviously, a whole lot of others missed it entirely, but, that's the world we live in today.

I do know there are many who read my blogs that have no interest whatsoever in this subject. I get that. However, it was this recent GQ cover that got it all going again in my mind and that's what typically percolates onto the electronic page. Maybe tomorrow. Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya tomorrow! I could sing it for you but I think it wise to just read it and hope for the best. I mentioned the other day how that as I have become the senior statesman here on our property, I find myself dispensing more of my thoughts, opinions, and wise advice. There are two other fellows that share this office with me. They are often the recipients of my discourses. I was talking to my brother Victor the other day about it and the thought occurred to me that I knew exactly how the participants feel on the TV show, 'The Voice'. I said that because often when I begin to pontificate, I too get to experience chairs turning. Unfortunately, they are turning away from me, but, the effect is still the same. And, just so you know, that usually does not interfere with the finishing of my speech. You are not surprised? Good. Enjoy the rest of your day and based on what I've shared, you probably think it's too late to not let the inmates run the asylum. At least, as it pertains to my world. Until next time, may God richly bless us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: