Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Paying tribute to those who have been instrumental in my development as Santa Claus.

Today is Wednesday, November 29, 2017, and I am sitting here doing my morning exercises, (mentally only), preparing for our Santa season. I know what some of you are thinking. If I am doing mental exercises, that would be a very short workout. You are so right! That first photo was taken back in 2009. I had purchased the suit and was attempting to grow the beard. I had been a department store Santa for one season at Sears back in the early 1970's but I really didn't have a clear understanding of how I, as Santa Claus, should comport myself. The second photo was taken recently at the studio. The proverbial Before and After. Who have been my teachers during these years of growth and development? I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count. Those of you who immediately thought, 'the kids', well, that is exactly the answer I give when asked. Kids are remarkable. The other day I was sitting outside the room where they were serving lunch at the holiday market venue we were working. These kids came up. They were with their nanny and wanted a photo. The little boy offered up this jewel. "Santa, everyone tells you what they want but I have a question for you. What would you like for Christmas? He almost caught me off guard, but, I came back with this one. "Perhaps if everyone could be happy, that would be the best gift for Santa." Talk about excited. He jumped up because he now knew what Santa wanted for Christmas and he couldn't wait to share that with his mom and dad. See what I mean? Kids. They help Santa to be .... Santa! Could I benefit from attending one of the many Santa Claus development programs available in different areas of the country? There's no doubt that I could. However, I actually love the teachers who continue to help me to be the best Santa I can be. Yep. They always come up with something fresh and invigorating. I think, for now, I'll stick with them.

I talk a lot about my wife's cooking. Her ability to do what she does did not happen overnight. However, she was committed to learning from her mom, my mom, and the grandmothers in our lives. My point? Last Thursday, as we gathered at our Thanksgiving table, my mom was there, my granny Mac was there, my mother-in-law was also there. You see, my wife has continued their legacies in her preparation and serving. There's a country song that talks about the legends of that style of music. It asks the question, "Who's gonna fill their shoes?" This is what I am talking about. Seeing these memory food feasts disappear might have some appeal to those who say too much is made of family traditions. Sorry. I don't see it that way at all. Remembering. Where we came from. The people who helped to shape our lives. The caring and consideration shown in the details of making a family gathering something special are all worth remembering. And, I'm not knocking those who say they can enjoy the day by going through the drive-thru. I do agree that being together and having a family bond is the most important thing as we count our blessings, together. However, adding to that the precious memories that permeate our time together, well, I'm hoping that spirit will continue as someone steps up to take the baton and continue the journey. This might need to be labeled as an opinion piece, however, most of my stuff fits that category since it is called The View From Here.

One of the first photos I used in my blog, mom and I, 2007.
I am not raining on anyone's parade today. Just sharing. The Gospel music great, Bill Gaither, put up a cartoon the other day on Facebook that pretty much nails many of us. This fellow arrived at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter looked up his name and said, "Well, you had a really great life. Too bad you missed most of it while looking down at your cell phone." Ouch! Yesterday, I talked about how my blogging adventure began. I still go back and read some of them now and then. It's interesting to see what I was writing about at different times. I know. Many of the same things that I write about today. Sorry. It works that way. On May the 8th, 2007, I published my first blog. I ended it with these words that I still believe encapsulates my approach today. "However, I call this blog The View From Here because when it's all said and done, it's the way I see it. You most likely see it differently but that's what blogging is all about. We can speak from our viewpoint, our way of interpreting all the things we have to deal with, and in general, the viewfinder through which we see the world, and especially our world. One final thought in this opening monologue: I know that without God as the foundation of my life through my identity with His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, there would be little hope in all the ups and downs encountered in this journey called life." And, so it goes, on and on, and on. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: