Thursday, November 30, 2017

"Being politically correct means always having to say you are sorry." ~ Charles Osgood

Good morning and welcome to the last day of November, the 30th, here in this year of 2017. The only CYBER deal I participated in was purchasing more Community Coffee. I've never seen it at 30% off with free shipping. I didn't need it, but, I went ahead and ordered some anyway. One of the things I found to be hilarious was the recommended conversation starters offered up for when everyone gathered together for the Thanksgiving Day celebration. Based on the subjects, one could tell they were directed towards the less enlightened folks within the family. Ways to bring up the subject of global warming, the need for a more tolerant society, and, helpful hints to help those religious family members to re-think their views on the social issues of the day. Are you kidding me? I'm not saying politics didn't come up at our house, but, I didn't hear any of it if it did. I'm almost 100% certain climate change wasn't discussed. I didn't hear anything about same-sex marriage. What I did hear was a lot of laughing, joking around, talking about old times, and stuff like that. When it came time for the prayer I actually choked up a little as I thought about how much mom and dad enjoyed family gatherings. We miss them and we missed those who couldn't be with us. We had us a great time, but, I suppose it's only fair to thank those who wanted to help us to have something to talk about.

Yesterday morning I drove to work in the proverbial pea soup fog. That always makes for an interesting start to the day. The thought occurred to me that in some instances one drives where they are pretty sure they know as opposed to seeing. I was a tad more nervous about the animal kingdom and making sure we didn't have one of those close encounters of the worst kind. The traffic signals looked about as large as tiny Christmas tree lights. I had missed that forecast so it was somewhat of a surprise, but, thankfully, no problems and maybe only five to ten minutes later than my typical show-up time. I always struggle with what headlight setting works best. I know, supposedly, dims are better because you can see more clearly close to your vehicle. However, my 71-year-old eyes often demand brights. Yeah. I know. Some of those little fog lamps would have really helped. I read where a psychologist had written a short article comparing the moods we experience in life and he thought some of them were like trying to navigate in the fog. There's also the thing said when one can't get the thought to come out, brain fog. I've been known to come down with a case of fogginess from time to time. One analyst tried to find deep meaning in this poem about fog. I guess I was suffering from a foggy head when I read it because I just thought it was a cute little poem, nothing more. Just me. See what you think.

Fog

By Carl Sandburg

Fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

Peter Sellers as Chance, watching TV cartoons.
I wonder if Mr. Sandburg would have been impressed with a dissertation dissecting his little fog poem. Reading some of that stuff reminded me of that great Peter Sellers movie, "Being There". Sellers played the role of a simpleton gardener named Chance. He had been raised on an estate and educated by watching television. He was forced to vacate the only home he had ever known when the estate owner passed away. Forced to wander the streets, he ends up meeting a businessman who mistakes Chance's broken gibberish and manner of speaking as brilliance. Chance ends up speaking his nonsense to world powers and everyone is astounded by his words. At any rate, I did like the movie, and I do think it, on many levels, reflected on the way our superficial world works. Never saw it? Download it. I'm not sure it's available but downloading sounded like the answer to everything today. Either that or 'we have an app for that'. Oh well, that leaves me to ponder exactly what metaphor of life I'm living. Work on that one and get back to me if anything comes to you. Meanwhile, the certainty can be found in knowing God through His Son Jesus. I am so glad I am clear on that truth. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.     ....More later.

No comments: