Wednesday, April 19, 2017

"I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned." ~ copied

Hey, it's Wednesday and that means something on this April 19, 2017. I'm thinking. Give me a minute. It means that yesterday was Tuesday and there's not a lot that can be done with it. It also means that Thursday will show up tomorrow but we'll have to wait until it makes its appearance. That leaves us with today and I suppose that's the way it should be, one day at a time, and all of that. Someone posted that cartoon the other day. You've probably seen it already. If I have seen it before, I didn't take the time to see exactly what is being portrayed. I did and it actually made me laugh. Because I thought it was funny. Plus, it does answer that most compelling question. The one concerning the chicken and the road crossing affair. Don't act like you haven't pondered that one before. Sure, I'm aware of the knee jerk, "To get to the other side." That is so lame. At least the cartoon gives us the back story and helps to fill in some of those really puzzling issues. What's that? It doesn't do that for you? I tell you, it is really becoming more difficult to offer public service information these days. At least I tried. Surely I can be credited with that.

I did a search of my previous blogs, (2,548 episodes), to see how many times I've dealt with the subject of chicken and/or related thoughts. Too many to count. My wife's fried chicken. My love of fried chicken gizzards. Yes, stories about playing chicken and even those dealing with those two mind boggling questions, 1)Why did the chicken cross the road?; and 2) What came first, the chicken or the egg? I also talked about our Sunday fried chicken dinners when I was growing up and how that it was the standard menu when the preacher ate with us. Then you have additional chicken metaphors, idioms, and figures of speech. ~ She was no spring chicken. ~ Mad as a wet hen. ~ He is so hen pecked. ~ Don't count your chicks before they hatch. ~ She rules the roost. ~ He flew the coop. ~ As scarce as hen's teeth. ~ Too chicken to jump. ~ With him, he's just like Henny Penny, the sky is always falling. ~ There are likely many more but I close this paragraph with one of the most beautiful word pictures I know of.  "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those who are sent to you! How often I have longed to gather your children together as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you would have none of it!" Jesus speaking as recorded in Matthew Chapter 23, Verse 37. 

I've always enjoyed looking at some of Doug Savage's cartoons that he draws under the name of 'Savage Chickens'.  I'm glad I know which came first. I'm glad that chickens are a part of our circle of life. I leave you with God's reflection on Day 5 of Creation: "And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good." (Genesis Chapter 1, Verse 21)  If I think of anything else regarding the subject I will let you know. Later. Until next time, have yourself a finger licking good day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: