Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Happy 29th Birthday to our first Grandchild!

Good morning and welcome, one and all. It's Wednesday, April 5, 2017, a very special day for us. We pause to remember, reflect on, and to wish our very first grandchild a happy 29th birthday. Her birth brought about huge changes for us young grandparents. At the time of her birth I still worked for the big company in downtown Houston. I occupied a very prominent office space on the 22nd floor. That prominent office space soon became a viewing area for any and all photos of our Tiffany. Today when I see folks going crazy on Facebook at the birth of their first grandchild, it reminds me of us. I do thank God for our Tiffany and we pray that she will continue to look to Him as her journey continues. I plan to see her tonight at the gathering. MiMi sends her greetings from Louisiana. May God bless. Amen.
Some of you probably remember ABC's Wide World of Sports. The distinctive voice of Jim McKay would open each time with, "Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sports... the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat... the human drama of athletic competition... This is 'ABC's Wide World of Sports!'" While I can't claim such high and lofty pursuits, as a blogger, I am constantly on the look out for news you can use, finding it wherever I can, from here, there, and everywhere. Today, I ran across some really excellent and wonderful news. It comes from a study conducted in Ireland. It found that 63% of those surveyed over the age of 70 indicated they were more content than at any other time in their lives. More than half of the over 70 crowd said they were still in their prime. The head dude over the survey work had this quote, "Older people can teach us all a lot." See there? If you are 70 or older or if you are headed in that direction, it's time to get your 'happy' on. Contentment is a great way to live out one's days. I have a quote from the highest authority on the subject, "But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment." (1st Timothy, Chapter 6, Verse 6, as rendered in the New American Standard Bible, NASB)


I know exactly how some of you feel. It has not been that long ago that I would not have even thought about pausing to read that article. I actually had to answer a question before they would let me see the data. They wanted to know that when I think of convenience, what is the first retailer that comes to mind. That was a really hard one for me because, forgive me, but, I don't believe I ever think much about retailers, period. But I did want to see the study results so I began to ponder how to answer. Let me see. Convenience. I do typically buy gasoline. Those places do have what they call a convenience store. Bingo! So I answered Exxon-Mobil. I don't know if they even have those outlets in the land of leprechauns, but, they did open the door and I was able to read additional proof that all lives matter, including the white haired variety. At our Bible study last Wednesday evening I told the class I wanted to hurry home in time to watch the final episode of Duck Dynasty. One lady asked why I didn't just DVR it. I confessed that I had never learned how to do the DVR deal. The response was less than encouraging. All these silver haired saints shaking their heads in pity. But, I thought about it like this. It is true I have never taken the time to learn how to record programs, however, I'm past 70 and can very boldly say I feel very content with my inability to do so. Okay. That's enough joy spreading for one day. Enjoy. Be blessed. May God help us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: