Friday, November 14, 2014

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered." (Nelson Mandela)

Good Friday morning here on this cool crisp November 14, 2014. If everything goes according to plan, tomorrow the wife and I will be making a quick turnaround trip to attend my 50th high school class reunion. It's 180 miles one way to the little hamlet of Hornbeck, Louisiana where the festivities begin at 4 p.m. We plan to return Saturday evening so I had better make sure I have some Community on hand to keep me alert and focused. No. I never thought about what Abraham's class photo would have looked like and I was not aware that the comparative photo above would cause one to think of that. And, no, I was not voted the most likely to grow up to become Santa Claus. But thanks for the observations. If I had pursued the area that I most excelled in I would have most likely ended up being involved in some type of agriculture business. I was not inclined to be a farmer or a rancher but I could study about those subjects and then take tests locally, regionally, and at the state level and do fairly well at them. Part of that was due to the tremendous rapport I had with my AG Teacher, Mr. John Hyman Self. I had great respect for him and he was always a huge supporter of mine. He was a great teacher, mentor, and Christian example. He went on to his reward in April of last year. I was able to attend his memorial service. I am looking forward to being there tomorrow for the get together. 

Happy Birthday to our Lexie Dee! She is the youngest daughter of our youngest son Rodney and his wife Mitzi.  She is a remarkable young lady and we thank God for her and all the wonderful ability and personality He has poured into her. She may be small in stature but she plays tall on the volley ball court, and in her studies in school, and also in her loving on her MiMi and Poppy. That last part is especially appreciated. Have a great birthday Lex, and may our Great God add His special blessings to your special day! Love, MiMi and Poppy

Thinking about that turnaround trip to Louisiana I can tell you that my hips do tend to get noisy when a long trip of sitting is being contemplated. It's really not that big of a deal and when it is all said and done, it does more or less come with the territory. Best I can remember, most of the folks still living in and around that little town didn't make it when I attended our 20th, but, several people from distant locations did come. Maybe the locals had crops to see after or other chores to worry about. Or maybe they just liked to stay home. It reminds me of a family that recently came into our area and joined our local fellowship of believers. They are wonderful people. They love doing things in the area. Based on their Facebook postings of photos they have explored many new places and enjoyed all kinds of activities, most of them right under my nose so to speak, and most of them I hadn't even been interested in enough to know about. Parks, lakes, hiking trails, playgrounds, and all kinds of other stuff. I am impressed. That's really something. I am so glad they have been so good at locating and enjoying those places. What about me? I'm fine thank you and while I enjoy seeing them enjoying all of those venues, well, I'll just do my thing around the old homestead, if you know what I mean. Uh huh, that I suppose is the way I like it. Yep. I'm one of those.

We all have to be something. Right? A visitor in our home saw my graduation before and after photo on our computer background the other day. The wife informed them that it was me. They responded with an 'Oh my!' in a slightly exclamatory manner and I will have to tell you that I wasn't exactly sure what they meant. I thought that it may have been the kind of response that was thinking, 'Whatever in the world happened to him?' But, being gracious, I did not ask any questions. I said nothing about the hard life I've been through. There was that time when I was thrown through the windshield of that passenger van. And, the knee surgery. You know the one. For the torn meniscus. The diabetes, now that's a biggie if I ever heard of one. And, also the stress. Yeah. Now you're really talking. The stress. That's it. That would probably be it. Yeah. That's the ticket. Stress. Or maybe they were thinking that I still looked pretty young after so many years. Hey. That may have been exactly what the 'Oh my!' meant. That was nice of them to notice. I'm feeling better already. I can still reach and get it. Sixty eight years young. Still going strong. Okay. I had better quit while I am ahead in my basking in the invention of my own imagination. Take care. Remember to enjoy your Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I'll try to meet back up here with you, same time and same location, here at the ole blogger ranch, come next Monday. May God bless. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: