Thursday, November 20, 2014

“Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone.” ― Dorothy Parker, American writer and poet, (1897-1967)

Good morning friends, neighbors, and passersby. It's good to stop for a spell and visit here on this Thursday, November 20, 2014. We all know that looks are not everything. We've all also most likely heard growing up those jokes about someone being ugly. For instance, "She's so ugly she must have fallen out of an ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down." In different cultures beauty or the lack thereof is dealt with in different ways. I read an article in the online edition of a United Kingdom newspaper about the recent situation that occurred at the wedding celebration of a Saudi Prince. After completing the extremely lavish ceremonies, the photographers came in to make photos of the new bride and groom. The bride removed her veil. It was the first time the prince had ever seen her face. The report stated that upon seeing her he leaped to his feet in disgust and this is what he said, "You are not the girl I had imagined. I am sorry, but I divorce you." Wow! What a way to end a wedding! Before we tied the knot I saw my bride with hair rollers. I saw her without makeup. I saw her when she was feeling poorly. She may not have looked her best in those situations but I still felt like I was the most blessed man on the face of the earth the day we said our vows.

I doubt seriously the story about the prince and his beauty challenged bride will be coming to the Hallmark channel any time soon. I pretty much am aware that the Hallmark channel gets played quite often at my house. I don't actually see it played but I notice that at times when I power up the system that's the channel that had been on previously. Plus, I hear bits and pieces forth and back between the wife and her sister and I'm pretty sure some of it involves the movies they show on that channel. My mom is also a watcher, therefore, she too can do the talk about whatever it is that ladies like to see played out before they eyes. I continue to believe there is only one script for every movie played on that channel. They change the actors, the locations, the music, and maybe the season, but the script is pretty much the same. I suppose they do it that way to save money and also to be sure to deliver that same good feeling from every individual showing. But, who am I to judge? I first watched it with some of the kids but actually took a liking to those new animated Star Wars Rebels episodes. Not bad. Not bad at all. To each his or her own, I suppose.

Bob Bailey (1913-1983)
I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have it any other way. Individualism. Freedom to choose and all that comes with it. The wife and I were able to listen some to old time radio in our travels last Saturday. I think we took in all five 15 minute episodes of Yours Truly Johnny Dollar starring Bob Bailey as he attempted to solve an embezzlement case. The series chronicles the ongoing challenges faced by an insurance investigator with an expense account that lets him pretty much go and do whatever he needs to do. There were a total of eight different stars who played Johnny Dollar on the show that ran on radio from 1948 to 1962, but Bob Bailey is my favorite. What's that? You never heard of it? And, you really aren't the least bit interested in it? Now would be a good time to go back and read about the freedom to choose I spoke of at the beginning of this paragraph. How good are these old time radio programs? The other evening the wife wanted us to stay in the car in the driveway until she found out who did the crime. See what I mean? Enjoy your day and enjoy the Hallmark channel, old time radio, are some of whatever else that floats your boat. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: