Thursday, November 13, 2014

Studies sanctioned by the major networks indicate that viewers pay more attention to news that has been teased. (Findings from a research paper: The Role of News Teasers in Processing of TV News, by Hao-chieh Chang, Syracuse University)

Good morning folks. How in the world are you getting along? I'm fine, thank you, and glad to greet you once again. It's Thursday, November 13, 2014, and I have something astounding that you need to know about. I will share it with you when we come back from the break. I'm sure you recognize that tease which we are inundated with as we attempt to watch any kind of news broadcast. I listen to the live feed of news programming on my satellite radio and I heard one that really got me going. McDonald's has announced a recall on over two million toys placed in Happy Meals, stay tuned to hear which ones they are, when we come back. That most likely got plenty of parents to wait. Well, I just hate it when they do stuff like that. Therefore, let me provide that information right away: "McDonald's is recalling about 2.3 million Hello Kitty toys that came with some of its Happy Meals because they pose a choking risk. The item in question is a red whistle that came with the Happy Meal Hello Kitty Birthday Lollipop Toy (No. 6) -- a plastic Hello Kitty figurine holding a pink heart-shaped lollipop." I do observe the antics they employ. "We have information necessary for you and your family's survival, stay tuned, we'll be right back." "Could that asteroid enter earth's atmosphere and obliterate our way of life? Hang on, we'll have the answer when we return." Here's the truth, for me anyway, I usually change the channel because I'm hacked off that they do things like that. Just me. That's my way of seeing it. Maybe I didn't like being teased as a child. Stay tuned because some day I may have the answer.

While I may hate that it works that way. The key for those who are trying to maintain audience ratings is just that. It works. The study I mentioned in the title attempted to examine the influence that this teasing approach has on the actual processing and reporting of the news itself. Which is more important? Providing accurate information to the viewers or maintaining ratings? Good question. I think we all know that this is not limited to news programming. It covers just about every area of life today. Politics uses every tool imaginable to try and get people to watch their promos. If we are not careful we can become tools being used in this media control apparatus. How do we defend against it? Change the channel. Refuse to participate. And probably the least used response: Check it out for yourself. Many outlandish threats have been reported that were used to try and motivate particular groups to go and vote. Outlandish but here again, they tend to work. Sad to think that we as a people are so easily deluded. And, I'm not talking about any particular group because these techniques are being used by every news organization, every political organization, and every type of commercial business that seeks to gain people's attention. I am surprised when folks who I consider to be thoughtful and intelligent tell me stuff and present it as fact when I know it is mostly out of context malarkey. Be on guard. Be aware. Be forewarned. Be all you can be. (That last little ditty might not fit but it sounded like it might be a way to close this out and move on. Mercifully.)

It's like that commercial everyone laughed at. You know where the person says it has to be true because they read it on the internet. Everyone laughed. Yet, most folks are somewhat swayed by these techniques. What about me? I'm certainly capable of being influenced but I do try my best to keep my distance. The number one area I see as a risk is to buy into something just because it fits into the narrative that you subscribe to and agree with. Here's an example: The President intends to put forth a measure that will require every person to have a number stamped on their forehead. It will not be a number that can be seen but it can be read with a special device. I made that up folks but if that were to be said by some particular person on their radio program, pretty soon it would be the latest absolute facts that prove up the worst fears about the current occupant of the oval office. See what I mean? One more time: Be on guard. Be aware. Be forewarned. And, yes, be all you can be. Thanks for tuning in for today's advice column. I'm not sure which hat I was wearing when I wrote today's blog but it is something that does cause me concern. Take care. Enjoy your day. And, may our Great God add His blessings to us all. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: