Tuesday, November 18, 2014

"A kind heart is a fountain of gladness making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles." ~ Washington Irving

Hello one and all, it's Tuesday, November 18, 2014, and you caught me in the middle of a smile this morning. It's a response to this photo of a baby boy born in the United Kingdom this past June. His name is Leo and he's been in the smiling business for a while. That first photo was made with an ultrasound while he was still in his mum's tummy. (That's how they say mom across the pond.) I'm not sure what awaits this youngster but he's off to a pretty good start if you ask me. You didn't, but I thought we could get started off with something positive. Here's an anonymous quote about the power of a smile: "A smile costs nothing but gives much. It enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give. It takes but a moment but the memory of it sometimes last forever." Another one fits Leo's photos: "A smile from a child is packaged sunshine and rainbows." And one for you take with you: "A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings." I think we all can agree with that. Amen.

Our whirlwind trip to Louisiana on Saturday was a blessing in a number of ways. We were able to visit with the wife's sister, Dorothy, you know the one, her twin born 18 months before her. We also got to spend a brief timeout with the wife's brother Milton and his wife Glenda. Bro. Milton was the fellow who married us. It was his first wedding to perform and our first one too. Then we traveled on to see mom and dad. It's always a good day when we can hug and love on our mom and dad. God has been so good in allowing us to have these wonderful people in our lives for so long. After that, we made our way to the reception hall for the high school reunion festivities. (Translated: the cafeteria) I had not counted on an accessory I brought becoming such a popular topic of conversation. The beard. You know: Santa's facial hair. The questions: When was the last time you shaved? How long have you had that thing? It's really real, isn't it? With that thing, how would expect anyone to recognize you? I didn't mind but I would have appreciated people getting permission before they handled the merchandise, if you get my drift. I suppose us professional beard people are a little touchy at times. It's a joke.

I saw a lot of kids running here and there at the reception. I thought I could see their parents, or in my case, their grandparents in their faces. We enjoyed the fellowship but didn't stay for the official recognition at the homecoming basketball game. We needed to get back to our neck of the woods to take care of business, so to speak. The wife had decided that we should sing at the worship time where our local fellowship of believers gather. I had previously listened to the song she wanted us to sing and determined it would take a lot of work. She wanted us to do the 'lot of work' part as we rolled on down the highway. She is a natural born singer. She hears the timing and the beat in her head. I wasn't put together that way. Therefore, we have to go over it and over it and over it again. She tries to beat out the timing for me and I work hard to get it. At times I feel like one of those donkeys that use their hooves to beat out a number. We must have sung through that song at least 25 times before we got back home. Here's the funny part. When I got up Sunday morning I couldn't even remember the tune to that song. Thankfully, we practiced it at the Church and we did present it as a testimony in the services. The point of the song has to do with an imagined vision of those who belong to God laying any crowns they have won at the feet of the Savior. We did get through it and I didn't have to stomp the floor like a donkey but I thought about it a time or two. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: