Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Preparing for my 50th High School Reunion: "And now I can't wait; they've set the date; Our fiftieth is coming, I'm told. It should be a ball, they've rented a hall At the Shady Rest Home for the old." (joking only)

The day after. Finally. I suppose for the politicians, regardless of the party they represent, they now can either prepare for the office they were elected to, or get ready to become a lobbyist or some type of government bureaucrat at least until the next election cycle. (Except for those who are in runoffs.) That's more or less how it goes in the revolving door of politics. Good morning and welcome once again to our time together for this day, Wednesday, November 5, 2014. The good news? The seemingly unending repetitive political ads have been shelved and we can enjoy a little peace and quiet, at least for the time being. (Denver set the record with over 78,000 TV political ads.) The wife and I are planning on attending my 50th high school reunion in a couple of weeks. It will be a quick trip to Louisiana and I've been thinking a lot about those I graduated with. Recently one of the ladies posted our yearbook photos and stated we only had 15 in our graduating class. Really? I knew it wasn't a large class, but 15? I actually thought there were more than that. Maybe that's why I did as well as I did in terms of class ranking. You know what I'm talking about. Big fish in a small pond. Or a small fish in a large pond. I know many of these reunion deals is where folks try to impress their former peers in all they have accomplished. Maybe I will think of something between now and then. Yeah. I know. I can always use the Santa story, if all else fails. Thanks for reminding me.

You know that I am just joking around. I thank God every single day for the life He has given to me. I thank Him for the family I was a part of growing up. I thank Him for the girl I found over 50 years ago. I'm thankful for the way in which He has always provided for us in terms of gainful employment and in the family He provided to us. I'm thankful for having been a teacher of the Word of God for more than 35 years. This might not fit someone's idea of accomplishments but faith and family are the biggies in my life.  I'm forever grateful for the brothers and sisters in Christ who have been a part of my sojourn here. Many of them have gone on to their reward but they too contributed to my life. I thank God for the talent He provided to me, the abilities he allowed me to develop and use during my time here. I'm not saying I ever maximized the potential that I could have achieved, however, I am thankful for all that God has accomplished through my life. And, finally, I tell people all the time when they ask me where I am headed that eventually I'm headed to my heavenly home. While that at times gets a puzzled look, it's the fruition of my faith in the God who has made me the person I am and I do look forward to being in His presence forever and ever, Amen.

I remember two young ladies in a Church we were a part of many years ago. They both busied themselves preparing to attend their 10th reunion. They were serious about their preparation. They essentially went on a starvation diet. They had something to prove. They wanted the fellows there to observe what they had missed out on. It seemed to be really personal. Since I've only attended one of my reunions and that one was back in 1984, well, I'm sure there may have been some posturing going on among those who attended. We no doubt talked about jobs, family, accomplishments, and all the good things that had happened to us. That was thirty years ago. Most of that crew are now retired and doting on their grandchildren. We really don't have much to impress others with and hopefully we all have discovered the most important things in life. That would involve our relationship with our Savior and our service to Him and to others. I can't remember that coming up back in 1984. But, we live and learn. Right? Let's hope so. Have a great day and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: