Monday, November 10, 2014

"The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion or ethnic background, is that we all believe we are above-average drivers." ~ Dave Barry

Good morning and welcome. It's a another wonderful day here in the ole blogger ranch neighborhood and this one is being celebrated on Monday, November 10, 2014. I am often reminded that Yogi was right, "You can observe a lot just by watching." That's certainly true as one travels here and there out on the major thoroughfares that surround the Houston metroplex. The other day I came up beside a car with those crazy looking wheels and at first I thought there was no driver. It was like I had happened upon the headless horseman because the driver's seat had to have been all the way back and I have not a clue how the person steering the car could see anything at all. I never saw the actual person who was driving. Am I missing something or what? I struggle trying to figure that one out. I can't even begin to guess at how that might be cool. On another excursion I came alongside a would be Thelma and Louise team at a traffic light. The two young women had their windows down and their sunroof open with their radio blaring and both of them were singing as loud as they could. I didn't see any adult beverages but they certainly had left their inhibitions at home. I suppose there's nothing like going for a joy ride right smack in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic. You are right. There's no telling what people think when they look at me. They might wonder if I escaped from the 'home'. Again.

I suppose I've known both ends of the spectrum. When a young man stares up at the sky people assume he must be thinking. When an older fellow does the same thing they conclude it must be senility. One fellow sent this one in to a joke thread out on the internet: ~ Sam and Louis lived in a retirement home. One day they were sitting in the lounge, and Sam turned to Louis and said, “Louis, I’m ninety years old, and I’m full of aches and pains. You’re about my age. How do you feel?” Louis replied, “I feel just like a newborn baby.” “Really? Like a baby?” Sam asked, puzzled. “Yes,” replied Louis, “I’ve got no hair, no teeth — and I think I just wet myself.” ~ They tell me that you know you are getting older when you have run out of things to learn the hard way. I thought of my grandfather when I saw this one: ~ An aging gentleman in the hospital refused to eat a bowl of jello. He told the nurse, "I'm not going to eat anything that's more nervous than I am." My Paw Paw Mac always called it 'nervous pudding'. One last one for today:


God, grant me the Senility
To forget the people
I never liked anyway,
The good fortune
To run into the ones I do,
And the eyesight
To tell the difference.


I know I spend quite a bit of time on aging related anecdotes, but, that's pretty much the world I am living in, therefore, it resonates. I do hope that you can enjoy a smile here and there because the process itself is one of the rewards for having made it this far. I do know that when they gave me the 'over the hill' party at age 40 I didn't think that much about it, but now I suppose I've finally reached the place where that seems like such a long time ago. The results thus far: Thankful. That's right. Thankful to God for putting up with me and working on me and for accomplishing a few things through me. I still have a little spunk left. I didn't say common sense. The other day a young whippersnapper asked if I needed help carrying a 55 pound box. I suppose I took that the wrong way. I kind of bowed up a little and then made it crystal clear that I had not even the slightest need of his help. You should have seen me weebling and wobbling down those stairs with that heavy box. But I made it and would have taken a victory lap but I didn't because, to be honest, I was pretty much out of breath. Y'all take care now. You hear? And, may God add His blessings to our day. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: