Monday, November 17, 2014

“I don’t have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They’re upstairs in my socks.” ― Groucho Marx

Hornbeck High School, Class of 1964. Six of the 15 showed up.
It's only me. Good to see you again and thanks for showing up here on this back-to-work Monday, November 17, 2014. Okay. Yes I know that everyone is wondering how the big reunion came off. If we would have had some of that strong antiseptic smell that you get when you visit one of those places, we would have been set. It was great. My way of seeing it said there were sure a lot of old people hanging around but we had a great time and I am glad we made the effort. My mom had reminded me that it might be good to come since you never know what might happen before the next one. I thought about that. These folks that you've had no contact with for nearly 50 or more years, well, no matter what happens I doubt seriously any of us will miss each other. That's not being facetious, it's just the truth. And, I was kidding about that 'old people' comment. I did see one fellow trying to hold in his stomach for about 60 minutes. Had he collapsed and turned loose we might have had a tornado right there in the cafeteria. But, that more or less is a part of how the reunion scene is done. I will likely have a few additional observations and anecdotes to share in the days ahead. You've been warned.

I hate it when this happens. The other day while I was driving down the road I had a brilliant little story come to mind that I could hardly wait to share. Brilliant may be about as much overkill as I can come up with but needless to say, the little story has gone to that place among my gray cells where they enjoy playing hide and seek. Right now the hiding is working. I sometimes wonder about myself. Since I can't remember that one I will tell you this one, on myself. We recently had a new security system installed in our home. After a few days we developed an issue with one of the door sensors. I told the wife I would take care of calling the folks about it. I did. Unfortunately, I called the pest control company instead of the security people. The lady answered the phone. I told her we had a low battery alarm on our door going into the garage. She asked if I was seeing any pests. I said not that I am aware of but I would like to get this problem with the door resolved. She asked if they damaged the door when they were in our home. I told her I had no idea. She then said they don't do garage doors. I told her it wasn't the garage door it was the kitchen door that opens into the garage. Exasperated, she blurted out that all they did was do the pest treatment and suddenly this revelation came over me. I begged her to keep this little event to herself since as I told her, I do have my reputation to maintain. (Just for the record: The two services were completed relatively close to each other, if that helps.)

I appreciate the humor in any situation but the wife laughed about it in a way that left me a little puzzled. I couldn't be sure that she was laughing with me, if you get my drift. But, she was laughing, big time, out loud, without needing to abbreviate it. As in, LOL. Was it really that funny? I think it has something to do with the party of the first part and how that he at times does get himself into some fixes. Oh well, I suppose all's well that ends well. Think about it. You make a simple phone call trying to get something taken care of and they ask you have you seen any pests. No wonder I at times live in the state of Confusion with Slapstick as its capital. Maybe that's why I used the Groucho quote in the title because at times I can be a one man Marx brothers comedy team. What's that? I suppose you are right. It does make life interesting as we go along our way. The good Lord knows there's plenty of stuff each day that isn't so funny, therefore, it's encouraging to grab a smile here and there, while you can. Thanks for traveling alongside as I chronicle the stuff I have to deal with each day. Have you seen any pests? Who ever heard tell? I know. I know. They were a pest control company. Thanks for reminding me. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: