Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Vegetarian: Ancient native word meaning "lousy hunter".

I can smell that coffee making its journey from my little processor into the cup. He seems happy and that makes me happy as well. It's Wednesday, February 13, 2013, and I was thinking about coffee because I was looking at some of those famous slogans. ~ The best part of waking up..... ~ Good to the last drop. ~ Tastes as good as it smells. ~ Better beans. Better coffee. ~ I like all of these slogans but unfortunately for them, I could care less about the actual coffee they are using them to promote. There have been plenty of  notable failed product and ad campaigns. Many of you most likely remember the New Coke that was widely rejected regardless of them using Bill Cosby along with a huge amount spent on trying to overcome resistance with advertising. I know some surveys where people immediately remember the slogan or the tune but they identify the ad with the wrong product. I guess that would be the worst nightmare for ad design folks. Great ad, great tune, but people forget which product. Yikes. But, in my case, I'm just stubbornly loyal, therefore, I am not part of their target audience, but, that doesn't mean I can't apply their good words to my favorite brew. What's that? You don't have to be but it helps? Yeah. Sadly, I understand exactly what you are thinking.

I'm still looking for a really good dry or lame joke: ~ A little old lady answered a knock on the door one day, to be confronted by a well-dressed young man carrying a vacuum cleaner. 'Good morning,' said the young man. 'If I could take a couple minutes of your time, I would like to demonstrate the very latest in high-powered vacuum cleaners'. ''Go away!'' said the old lady. ''I'm broke and haven't got any money!'' and she proceeded to close the door. Quick as a flash, the young man wedged his foot in the door and pushed it wide open. 'Don't be too hasty!' he said. 'Not until you have at least seen my demonstration.' And with that, he emptied a bucket of horse manure onto her hallway carpet. 'Now if this vacuum cleaner does not remove all traces of this horse manure from your carpet, Madam, I will personally eat the remainder.' The old lady stepped back and said, "Well let me get you a fork, cause they cut off my electricity this morning." ~ I know. Keep looking. I will.

We were watching some old clips from the Carol Burnett Show the other day and I was reminded of just how funny those ensemble sketches were. Carol Burnette, Vicki Lawrence, Harvey Korman, Lyle Waggoner, and Tim Conway did make us laugh. Those set pieces are still funny but not like they used to be. I know some of that comes with having seen them a number of times but I just have to wonder if we have somehow messed up the elements that make for a good laugh. Could it be that today's material has tainted the gene pool to the extent that we all have become jaded. I mean, back in the day, laugh out loud meant exactly that, instead of some symbol on the social network to indicate that you think something is funny, LOL. I'm not one to go all uncontrolled, but I have, on rare occasion, had some tears from laughing so hard. Okay. Here's the inevitable, those were the good old days. I'm all for progress but whatever alignment we have today of the stresses and all the other factors, it's not the same and it was good back then to be able to just spend some time in doubling over from that which is called the best medicine, old fashioned laughter. Or, here's another thought, maybe it's just an old dude who has misplaced his laughter activating mechanism and doesn't know where to find it. Do they make a clapper for that? Have yourself a good day and may God bless us all! Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: