Friday, February 8, 2013

Forbes Thought Of The Day: “When American life is most American it is apt to be most theatrical.” — Ralph Ellison

Yes sirree, we made it. It is Friday, February 8, 2013, and I send out a big old howdy to all those tuning in. I actually saw that title one day and I can't be completely sure why but it did seem to resonate with me. I've been accused of some level of theatrics at different times and while I didn't consciously follow a script, I can't deny how that drama seems at times to define our day by day living. Even children come to be known as little drama queens. I think some folks are just born to be more demonstrative than others. I remember many years ago that I was at odds with one of my big bosses. That's never a good situation. Using a sports metaphor, he told me that his observation was that I often would dive after an easy rolling grounder. You know: A dirty uniform to try and prove I was really doing something. Or maybe looking for applause. You don't have to spend too much time wondering if I liked that assessment. Before I could actually do much about it, he was unceremoniously put out to pasture, so to speak, where he could spend all of his days chasing as many grounders as he wanted, or playing in the cow patties, or whatever. Was I actually guilty as charged? I don't think so and I never heard about it again, so, I just brushed the dirt off my uniform and got back to my rat killing.

We had ourselves a fairly good rainy day on Wednesday. I had to be out and about some in the highways that surround the mega metro-complex. It was pretty scary out there. Because of the rain over an extended period of time, the freeways were extremely crowded, visibility extremely limited, and at times I felt like the walls around me were closing in. I tend to be somewhat inclined to claustrophobia and when you have a tall 18 wheeler in front of you, a tall 18 wheeler on the right and left side of you, and a tall 18 wheeler on your bumper behind you, well, it can work on your nerves. This is more noticeable when they get up to speed and there you are, driving in this tunnel at 60 miles per hour. You can't see ahead, behind, or on either side but you dare not slow down because that might interrupt the fragile balance, like crossing over Niagara Falls on a tight rope with a blindfold on. Maybe it wasn't quite that bad but it does wear one out, but thankfully, I finally broke free and they went their way and I went mine. Another adventure logged and another opportunity to be thankful to have made it back in one piece. Okay. For my mom's sake I'll say this little tale may be somewhat exaggerated, but I can't deny that it is mostly true.

While trapped in the traffic I do have a good respite in being able to listen to old time radio on my little portable satellite unit. Those programs made during World War II have a special appeal. Our country pulled together. People wore their patriotism on their sleeve. There were great sacrifices called for in support of the war effort. It seems that everything was in short supply. And, the pain was obvious as so many were being killed and wounded. It was a trying time. Enter into the picture some lighthearted radio programming and I'm sure that many appreciated the opportunity to smile in a world where smiles were in short supply as well. Many of the jokes are lost on the generations that came after. One I heard the other day was about a fellow talking about his wife. He said she was very frugal. In fact, during the rubber shortage she had made her a girdle out of some pieces from an old tire. The punch line was how it ended up looking better on the truck than on her. This came from a program in the early 1940's. Those listening would have gotten it instantly and I thought it was pretty funny myself. I think that will have to do for now. I've taken quite enough of your time this week, therefore, I will take a break, catch my breath, and see what I can come up with for Monday. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and may God bless each one. Amen.    .....More later.

No comments: