Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"He that fights and runs away, May turn and fight another day; But he that is in battle slain, Will never rise to fight again." Tacitus, (56 AD – 117 AD)

Hello Tuesday, February 5, 2012. It's a good day to think a little about being thankful. For a long time I have struggled with the diabetic moniker that has been permanently attached to my name. I just got my recent six month report card with all the nitty-gritty details and I'm especially thankful that coming out of the holidays I am still holding steady with this summary: Excellent control. For that I am thankful. Thankful to God for allowing me to find out about this disease as early as I did. I'll be honest, I've never really gotten completely over the shock of that surprise, but, with the help of some wonderful medical folks, along with my wife to remind me from time to time to watch what I am doing, and even the grand kids who have been conditioned to question questionable things their Poppy might should stay away from, therefore, after six years of moving from finger licking to finger pricking, I am thankful for the excellent control achieved. I know that's a long sentence and I also know that I tend to share quite often about this struggle, but, being it's my blog and this just happens to have become a living, breathing part of my life, I share my experiences as a way of also trying to encourage others who may be in a similar situation. I did have a very good heart-to-heart with my doctor about how this will eventually play out. He said it doesn't have to play out, it's up to me to keep it from becoming the problem it most certainly can become, and, that keeping on keeping on is the key. I can testify that it does get old and one does at times get weary but with God's help we can do it. Amen. (For those with insider knowledge, my last 18 months of A-1c's are 6.4, 6.5, and the most recent, 6.4)

That's the night the lights went out in the Superdome. One of the most watched sporting events in the world came to a screeching halt when power related problems knocked out half the lights in the stadium. (Technically it knocked all the lights out but the emergency backup could keep half of them on.) Headline writers are having a field day. Some are connecting the failure to the energy overload created by the dancers in the halftime show. One player said he thought it was the betting folks over in Vegas that caused it. I also read where a Voodoo priestess said it was not the spirits of the dead that were unearthed in the building of the dome. For just over a half hour 72,000 fans waited along with untold millions throughout the world. Some are using this incident as a reminder of when the Superdome was used as a woeful place for people to seek shelter during Katrina. The big question will be: Why? What about the backup plan? What about the backup to the backup plan? Many years ago I headed a project for 18 months to deal with contingencies related to disasters that could impact the continued information processing for a major corporation. Power. That's a basic component of all recovery planning. Some have speculated that it was some type of surge. Whatever, it likely cost millions and it obviously changed the game tremendously. While a lot of soul searching will ensue, I would not be surprised at all if some heads roll as well. If you are responsible for providing uninterrupted service, you only get the chance to prove your plan when it has to be implemented. I wasn't disgusted, upset, or angry. I was embarrassed. For New Orleans and for those whose job it is to make sure that a timely recovery from something like this can be achieved.

I did get me some fancy new glasses. My wife got some too. She has some of those very technically involved lenses so she will have to wait a couple of weeks for hers. I got mine 2 hours after buying them. They are very modern looking. I'm not. They work very good which means that when I put them on I can see well. Duh! My old backup glasses work pretty well and the new ones are modern, you know, very light weight and maybe a little fragile. So I told the wife I thought it might be best for me to use the old ones for work. She agreed. I put the new ones in the case and grabbed the old ones. Suddenly I couldn't see very well at all. I cleaned them. I told the wife those new ones were better than I thought. She said she found it hard to believe they would have caused that kind of change so quickly. I was perplexed. When I went to put up the old ones I noticed I had actually chosen the night vision glasses that I used to wear with my contacts. No wonder I couldn't see well. Those glasses and my old backup glasses are indentical in terms of the frames but have very different lenses. Old people. We are a funny lot. But I will just say I thought the way the wife laughed may have gone a tad overboard. She seemed to enjoy this little mishap more than was necessary. Have yourselves a great Tuesday and don't forget to be thankful for things that happen that you can laugh about. May God bless. Amen.      ....More later.

No comments: