Monday, February 25, 2013

Hobbs: "I'll be jiggered." Lord Fauntleroy: "I'm jiggered too, Mr. Hobbs." (The 1936 Movie: Little Lord Fauntleroy)

I'm not sure I hit the ground running yet but I am doing my best to unclog the access lanes to those pesky gray cells. That's keeping me busy, but how in the world are you and what exactly are you up to on this back to work Monday, February 25, 2013? I know. When asked what you are up to is where you say your weight and everyone is supposed to laugh. But, it is a little early for that retread. Seven hundred billion and growing every day. That's how much unclaimed monies there is floating around here and there in institutions all over the world. That's right. $700 billion with a B, moving towards that trillion dollar mark. While there's no way to be 100% absolutely sure, I'm almost certain that none of it has my name on it. To the best of my knowledge I am not anyone's long lost relative entitled to some huge monetary inheritance. I did enjoy that story about little Lord Fauntleroy that was made into a movie in 1936. A little boy from America discovers that he is the long-lost heir to a British fortune. It was tough on the young lad Cedric to leave his home and his humble friends. One of his favorites was Mr. Hobbs a shop keeper who had been like a grandfather to him. He brought Mr. Hobbs a gift when he came to say goodbye. It was a a watch and chain that bore an inscription inside, ..."When this you see, remember me." I used that same inscription on the flyleaf to a new translation of the Bible that I mailed to a dear friend and business associate a long time ago. I couldn't find the inscription so I had to watch the movie on VHS to make sure I had it right. Not easy. I told you. Being me, that is.

For those who can't get enough gloom, doom, and despair, I found a website that lists sad days from history. This gives all the sad stuff that happened on a particular day. Sounds encouraging. Right? It has all the plane crashes, mass killings, devastating storms, along with widespread deaths from disease and other woeful tidbits to help get one ready for the day. I'm not going to share the website because those who are so inclined can Google it up for themselves. One thing is clear, and we don't have to go to a website to find this out. Jeremiah summed it up very well: "The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly corrupt: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9, American Standard Bible) Much of the sad days listed were brought on by the actions of people against people. Sounds pretty hopeless. Right? Jeremiah went on to point his readers to the Lord. And, that's the only source that he knew of that could help and He remains the only One who can help our deceitful hearts today. There is a positive outcome that can be experienced when we seek Him to help us with this need. Amen.

I read one fellow's assessment of his own writing: Flailing all over the page. I can so identify with his sentiment. In fact, I might just give him a run for his money when it comes to my daily episodes where I swing wildly (flailing) from one thing to another typically in a pronounced but discombobulated way (all over the page). I can't claim originality because there are huge numbers of blogs that promise to provide unconnected thoughts as their basis for being. I may have a leg up, so to speak on them, since they could actually be planning theirs to be that way. I just do it and the unconnected flavor has to fend for itself. I see my approach much like that spinning wheel from the old TV program, Ted Mack & the Original Amateur Hour (1948-1970). The main sponsor for years was Geritol, a product that was supposed to cure 'tired blood'. I could use a shot of that stuff from time to time. Ted used to spin that wheel and announce to the world: "Round and round she goes, and where she stops, nobody knows." So that's how it happens. Yep. You land on my page and end up with comments about Little Lord Fauntleroy, Sad Days, and Spinning Wheels. But, unless you missed the substance part, I refer you to my comments about the Lord in paragraph two. I can always count on Him, and you can too. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: