Monday, February 11, 2013

Everyone comes with baggage. Find someone who loves you enough to help you unpack. Have a wonderful splendorous Monday. (Adapted)

I'm back and here we go again. It's Monday, February 11, 2012, and I welcome you to that day that so many people dread each week. This typically reflects some angst about the return to school or work. One person said, "If each day is a gift, I would like to know where I could go to return Monday." Another one I read had this sentiment, "Mondays are a horrible way to spend 1/7 of your days." To me, it's just another day in paradise, so to speak. I'm not saying I've never thought about staying in bed on a Monday morning but I can't immediately recollect doing so. A young high school kid said he only hates Mondays because Mondays hate him. Another threw this one in, "Tuesday isn't so bad because at least it indicates you've survived Monday." Sounds like many of us need an injection of purpose and joy. Finding those are illusive until we allow Jesus to change our hearts. But, I'm not in a preaching mood, since it is, after all, Monday. Just joking. But, I do bring you some good news that can help make it a little better. That's right folks. I think the politician said it takes a village but what they meant was it takes Community. I've most likely already had more than my share today, but, based on my research, and I am unanimous in that the survey says: It helps to make Monday splendorous. (Splendorous has a face value Scrabble score of 14, just in case you are interested.)

My eldest son emailed me a copy of what is supposed to be a letter from a concerned Democrat to the editor. It looks like it was actually printed in a newspaper but it is most likely nothing more than a tongue in cheek way of poking fun. Here's a particular part that I thought was funny: "The Republicans are just trying to stand in the way of everything the President is trying to do. They are doing this only because the President is black. Some even dared question whether he was born in this country. I think this points out how the Constitution needs to be amended when it comes to setting forth the qualifications for becoming the President. Right now, it says a person has to be 35 years old and must be a natural born citizen. Well, that obviously is unfair because there are a great many otherwise qualified people who cannot run for President because their mothers had to have a C-section. But because the Constitution was written at least a hundred years ago, nobody even thought of the discrimination that would result from a doctor having to deliver a baby in this unnatural way. Now that we Democrats are in control, this is just one more thing we need to change in our drive to make life fair."

It was more like some 237 years ago, but it is their story, not mine. I am well aware that not everyone finds the same material to be humorous. I've heard people rave about something they thought was so funny and when I read or listened to it, it did nothing for me. It's okay to be different in what brings a smile but it's not good if there's nothing that can bring one. Henry Ward Beecher, the celebrated 19th century minister and social reformer, said this: "A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road." Bill Cosby on having a sense of humor: "There is hope for the future because God has a sense of humor and we are funny to God." The late funny lady writer, Erma Bombeck, observed: "When humor goes, there goes civilization." I've been told over the years that I have a dry sense of humor. Here's a supposed example of a joke that reflects a dry sense of humor: A devout cowboy lost his favorite Bible while he was mending fences out on the range. Three weeks later a cow walked up to him carrying the Bible in its mouth. The cowboy couldn't believe his eyes. He took the precious book out of the cow's mouth, raised his eyes heavenward and exclaimed, "It's a miracle!" "Not really," said the cow. "Your name is written inside the cover." I do like that one, for the record. Have a splendorous Monday and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.  ....More later.

No comments: