Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Who pulled the plug and forgot to put it back in?

Good morning and welcome once again to that place where most folks with a lick of sense would turn and run. Just joking. But I am glad you decided to stop by. How in the world are you doing anyway, on this Wednesday, November 16, 2011? We had us a really good rain shower yesterday. It was a regular thunderstorm that yielded to many in our area an old fashioned gully washer. But alas, you've heard me talk about the great drought of 2011 that we have experienced here in our area. Talk is one thing. Seeing it is another. This photo was put up on our daughter-in-law Mitzi's facebook page. It was taken last week at the lake house wharf where they spend many of their weekends. (Lake Conroe) That's where boats and wave runners are supposed to be docked! I've been there and the kids have fished right off the ledge near the back porch of the house. Talk about a picture speaking louder than any words! Sadly, our area is not the worst in the state of Texas. Some ranch lands have been taken out of service for grazing until who knows when in the future. The cattle have all been sold off. Nearly every day I see a headline that says something about a dim or worried future for the statewide water supply. I know a number of the marinas in some of the nearby lakes have had to shut down. Because of these adverse conditions persisting over these many months, our eldest son was able to get a good sized boat for a really good price. His home is near a large lake but currently there's not anywhere to launch it. The Bible tells us that the rain falls on the just and the unjust and we continue to pray that it will fall a lot on us all. Amen.

I heard a fellow here at work talking the other day about how many movies he and his family watch. He said they have hundreds, if not more, stored on his computer and they also have access to all the movie service outlets. They watch movies nearly every day. That brings me to the question of the day. What was the last movie you watched? Or, in my case, I'm trying to think about the last one that I actually saw. I know we were given one of those Blu-Ray players a couple of years ago and we did purchase some animated cartoon movies. I can remember watching Monsters Inc. For some reason I like that movie. I know we have one of the newer Star Wars Blu-Ray versions. And, I know the grandchildren have watched some here and there that I knew they were on but couldn't tell you which one it was. I'm now trying to think of the last one we actually paid to see at the movie theatre. I would have had to have been with my wife or with her and some of the grandchildren because I can't even begin to guess when I went to see a movie by myself. I remember now. I had read all of the hyped reviews about the James Cameron movie Avatar and the wife and I did go to see it. That would have been sometime in 2009 because as I recall, it was at the end of its run. The 3D special effects were pretty amazing as I remember, but it, like most of them, was not one that I would actually go to see again. That's what makes us different I guess. Hundreds of movies with access to hundreds more? No thank you. I suppose I will never be asked to be a voting member of the motion picture academy. Oh well. I'll get over it. In fact, good news, I already am!

This past summer we celebrated 35 years of us living in and around the neighborhood where we are now. That's a pretty long run. We've been affiliated with the same local New Testament assembly or Church for thirty of those years. That means roots, connections, and relationships. The last few days we have been able to go and spend time with and pray with a family that we have known for much of the time we've been in this area. Sister Billye Moore has been dealing with health issues for years and last Saturday she fell and broke her hip and also suffered some head trauma. Her late husband Garwin was also special to us and their two boys pretty much were raised up with our three. In fact, the stories of the exploits of these boys, especially their youngest and our youngest have become legendary in our families. What a joy it is to be able to meet with these men and remind ourselves of our closeness throughout the years and to share the common faith that holds us all together. To be able to pray with Sister Billye and her sons is a privilege. This week she has come through two serious surgeries and will begin her rehabilitation efforts starting soon. We thank God for her and for His provision and for His design in us being able to show love and care for one another. And, even where there are serious matters of health and well being at stake, to be able to laugh out loud, hug, and share a tear together, that, my friend, provides the ingredients of a whole mess of blessings. As they would say back home. Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.            ......More later.

No comments: