Friday, November 11, 2011

We thank God for all Veterans and their families!

Welcome to Friday, November 11, 2011, and if you are free to sign in to your computer and then get hold of this written material through access to the internet, and you do all of this at your own volition, you, I, and our entire citizenry can thank God and those who have proudly served in our military throughout our history. This is Veterans Day 2011 and I do pause to thank God for all those who have worn the uniform of our country. Originally set aside to pay respect to those who fought in WWI, this day of recognition was expanded in 1954 to include all veterans who have served throughout our nation's history. I read an estimate that said over 25 million have served our nation's military dating back to the 1770's. Many left our shores and did not return. Today, we have the freedoms we have because of those who put their lives on the line. Veterans are worthy of our respect. We are surrounded by them as they live and work among us. Our family has had many who have worn the uniform of our nation, taken up arms, and traveled to distant lands to defeat the tyranny of those who would enslave the world. As we pause to honor our veterans, I want to quote from the late former President Ronald Reagan, a veteran of WWII himself, in his words about honoring those who have served: "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem." And, I submit that we could extend his sentiments to all who have honorably served. May God bless each veteran and may God bless America. Amen.

I don't know about you but for me this week can't get to the end quick enough. I suppose it might be the non stop activities for the ten plus days where we have hardly had time to catch our breath. I know. I signed up to do the Santa stuff voluntarily. No one put a gun to my head. That being said, being worn out is still worn out, no matter what the reason. We did gain some early experience and next time maybe it will not require quite as much preparation. It is physically demanding, more than some might think. And, given the fact that we had never appeared as a couple before, and we didn't and they didn't know exactly what to expect, that always adds an element of tension. I don't have anything Santa related scheduled until the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but after that we will be pretty busy juggling our schedules. I'm just thankful to have the opportunities themselves and the physical strength to respond. It could be different. I see that everyday as I meet people in and around my age. What does that mean? I am really something? Not hardly. The word would be blessed and I do thank God for being able to get up and go each day. And, I thank God for those who cheer me on, and encourage me in my spiritual journey, my work and family life, and in my pursuit of the Jolly Old Dude duties. I don't even want to think about thinking about trying to sleep late Saturday morning because typically if I try to, I can't. But, it will a welcome development if it were to happen!

But let me try to end on a high note. Here are a few wise sayings and quips that might give us all something to think about on this bookend Friday. ~ The lesson is what you read in the fine print. The experience is what you get when you don't. ~ A goal without a plan is just a wish. ~ Digital Wisdom: Affirm brain on-line before opening mouth.com ~ A woman never shot a man while he was doing the dishes. ~ I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. ~ I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, and therefore I'm perfect.~ Take my advice, I don't use it anyway. ~ As I said before, I never repeat myself. ~ I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called brightness, but it doesn't work. ~ How come "abbreviated" is such a long word? ~  If you are a vegetarian just because you want to be good to animals, then why are you eating their food? ~ Okay. That should give you some items to mull over. I'll close with that famous quote from the movie, The Wizard of Oz, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." Thus ends another week of my version of this, that, and the other. May God bless you and may we all find ourselves along side others seeking Him at the regular services on Lord's Day Sunday. Amen. See you next week.            .....More later. 


No comments: