Friday, November 18, 2011

Thank God it's........Today! (TGIT)

Encore Friday. Not really. That has to do with a demand by the audience for an additional performance and since that's a very unlikely scenario, I best move on. But it sounded pretty good. Friday is that gateway day where the weekend is greatly anticipated and yearned for. With me, not so much, however, I will take it, and move on down the road. We arrived here on this November 18, 2011 day, with just one week until Thanksgiving and that is always something we look forward to. The  Weather Channel ten day projection says it will be one of those near 80 degree days for Turkey Day but I do hope their long standing record of missing it holds up and we end up with a much cooler day. I do love the frost on the pumpkin kind of day for Thanksgiving but obviously I'm not in charge of making that happen. With all the good eats being anticipated, I may send Mr. Diabetes on a tour of Asia for that week, or at least to Hawaii, since our President included Hawaii as part of Asia. First, he said we had 57 states, and I suppose they were getting ready to remake the flags before someone noticed that he was incorrect. He was born in Hawaii, supposedly, but yet he is now ready to make it a part of Asia. Geography may not have been his best subject. He couldn't do any worse than those ambassador candidates during the Reagan administration who couldn't find the place they were being sent on a map. That happened during their confirmation hearings and I suppose there's enough embarrassment to go around. At least none of them, at least to my knowledge, have said that when we as a nation come to a fork in the road, take it.

Kids have some pretty funny stuff to share. They typically let you have their unvarnished opinion. Here are some that might bring a chuckle. When asked what the proper age for getting married, Judy, 8, had this to say: "Eighty-four, because at that age, you don't have to work anymore, and you can spend all your time loving each other." Tom, a five year old, offered his idea, "Once I'm done with kindergarten, I'm going to find me a wife." Mike who is 9 had some pretty good insight into the dating process: "On the first date, they just tell each other lies, and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date." And, you have to hand it to Jim, a ten year old, who is thinking ahead, ""You should never kiss a girl unless you have enough bucks to buy her a big ring and her own VCR, cause she'll want to have videos of the wedding." Okay ladies, I included this one from nine year old Lynette just for you: "It's better for girls to be single but not for boys. Boys need somebody to clean up after them." Leo who is 7 had some pretty good insight into the perils that might be encountered when one thinks about falling in love: "If falling in love is anything like learning how to spell, I don't want to do it. It takes too long." Dave, 8, understood why folks who love each other hold hands, "They want to make sure their rings don't fall off because they paid good money for them." Good observation, Dave! When asked how you can tell if people at the restaurant are in love, a nine year old Christine offered this jewel, "It's love if they order one of those desserts that are on fire. They like to order those because it's just like how their hearts are on fire." One thing is sure, Christine will be a wonderful future consumer of the genre of dvds known as 'chick flicks'.

This brings me to the end of another five days of my sharing what came out of my my stab at illuminating ruminating. (I was going for a rhyme.) Since one of those means to light up and the other has to do with deep thought, all I can say is maybe next week. But as my mom likes to say when she quotes me saying, "It is what it is." And, that's the truth brother. And, sister too. I suppose I could confess to being a serial word waster but it's a little late for that. I know at times I must seem to be excessively repetitious and perhaps even palaverous which has to do with being annoyingly bothersome. The good news is that we all have the next couple of days to rest up and then we will take another run at it next week, Lord willing. Tis the season to be thankful and I do hope and pray we all will find time to begin counting our blessings. I've noticed a good number of folks out on Facebook who have been doing a daily thankfulness countdown to Thanksgiving. And, some of them have been really good especially in terms of their inspirational content. Yes. We do have much to be thankful for, therefore, I commend you to find yourself alongside other believers on this upcoming Lord's Day Sunday, to express worship and thankfulness to Him, for He is our provider. Amen. Until next time go with this Irish blessing, "Until we meet again may God hold you in the hollow of His hand."             .....More later.

No comments: